White Sox

Hawks GM comments on commitment to Coach Q

756988.png

Hawks GM comments on commitment to Coach Q

Since former Blackhawks assistant general manager Marc Bergevin was hired as the Canadiens' GM, rumors began circulating that Joel Quenneville could join him as the new head coach in Montreal.

In an interview with Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune, Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman wouldn't comment directly on the rumors, but said he is committed to Coach Q.

Does this mean Quenneville will remain in Chicago?

When asked if he anticipated Q's return, whose contract runs through the 2013-14 season, Bowman said "yes" with a chuckle. A chuckle that may have suggested the rumors were far from true.

After the Blackhawks were ousted from the postseason in the first round by the Phoenix Coyotes, Bowman said there were no hard feeling between himself and Quenneville.

"Our relationship wasn't strained at all," Bowman said back on April 25 when he met with the media to discuss the team's elimination. "We have great communication back and forth. We see things very similarly in terms of areas that need improvement. So, from that perspective, I think there's a lot of synergy between the two of us."

But other issues within the front office may have been enough to make Q want to look at other options outside of the Windy City. The Chicago Tribune has also reported Quenneville was unhappy with the hiring of Barry Smith, whose role was to work with the team on their power play. A feud between the two is said to have ended Barry's on-ice role during the playoffs.

As for the players, it sounds like no one wants to see their coach leave.

"Joel is a great coach," Patrick Sharp said. "It doesn't surprise me that those rumors are out there. I think a lot of teams would like to have him, but we're all happy to play for him, that's for sure."

Quenneville was unavailable for comment and questions of his return continue to circulate, but for now we know his players and general manager would like to keep him in Chicago.
What do you think Joel Quenneville's chances are of staying with the Blackhawks?

Are the White Sox about to sign Marcell Ozuna or not?

Are the White Sox about to sign Marcell Ozuna or not?

Depending on which report you choose to believe, the White Sox could be on the verge of filling the void in their outfield with one of the bigger names on this winter’s free-agent market.

Dominican reporter Frank Castillo tweeted Saturday that the White Sox will sign Marcell Ozuna, planning to announce the free-agent deal Monday.

Well, that was followed up by a report from The Score’s Bruce Levine, who said the White Sox are not about to sign Ozuna.

So there’s that.

The White Sox were connected to Ozuna earlier this offseason, as well as more recently, with MLB.com’s Jon Morosi writing last week that the team had interest in Japanese import Yoshitomo Tsutsugo, but were waiting to hear on the decisions of Ozuna and fellow free agent Nicholas Castellanos first.

Ozuna turned heads with his fantastic 2017 season for the Miami Marlins, when he slashed .312/.376/.548 with 37 homers and 124 RBIs. Since being dealt to the St. Louis Cardinals, Ozuna hit .263/.327/.452 with 52 homers and 177 RBIs in two seasons.

The White Sox have a pressing need in right field, making it little surprise that they’ve been tied to numerous options, including Ozuna, Castellanos and Joc Pederson. Ozuna, though, exclusively played left field in St. Louis. Were the White Sox to add him, would they insist he play right field? They’ve expressed little to no interest in moving Eloy Jimenez out of left field.

It’s rumor season, and there should be plenty more of them with the Winter Meetings starting Monday in San Diego. The White Sox are expected to continue the aggressive approach they’ve displayed already this winter with the signing of Yasmani Grandal and their reported high bid to Zack Wheeler, who took less money to pitch for the Philadelphia Phillies.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the White Sox easily on your device.

Blackhawks recall Dylan Sikura from Rockford

dylan_sikura_usa_today.jpg
USA Today

Blackhawks recall Dylan Sikura from Rockford

The Blackhawks recalled forward Dylan Sikura from the Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League, the team announced Sunday morning. In a corresponding move for financial reasons, Anton Wedin was reassigned to Rockford.

Sikura leads the IceHogs in goals (nine), points (16) and shots on goal (99) in 22 games this season. He was on a three-game point streak (one goal, two assists) prior to the call-up.

Sikura has appeared in 38 games across two seasons for the Blackhawks and is still searching for his first career NHL goal. He has 11 assists and 61 shots on goal over that span, averaging 11:34 of ice time.

Sunday's game against the Arizona Coyotes will be Sikura's first with the Blackhawks this season after starting the 2019-20 campaign in Rockford.

Attention Dish and Sling customers! You have lost your Blackhawks games on NBC Sports Chicago. To switch providers, visit mysportschicago.com.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Blackhawks easily on your device.