White Sox

Heyman on Cubs' trade bait

752752.png

Heyman on Cubs' trade bait

With Bob Nightengale's column at USAToday coming out this morning discussing how the Cubs are reportedly open for business on everybody, potential deals for Theo Epstein and Co. has been a hot topic of debate.

David Kaplan weighed in and actually would be on board with dealing Starlin Castro if the package coming to Chicago was right.

Expanding on that all a bit, CBSSports' Jon Heyman has a list of 45 MLB players that could be on the move at the trade deadline, including seven Cubs.

Matt Garza and Ryan Dempster come in at Nos. 2 and 3 on the list, behind only Zack Greinke of the Brewers. Alfonso Soriano is at No. 15.

All three of those names are fairly obvious. There has been a lot of talk surrounding Dempster, and if the Cubs could figure out what to do with the remainder of Soriano's contract, he may be dealt, too. Given Garza's value, some teams may be desperate, but the Cubs are also reportedly working on inking the righty to an extension.

Beyond that, some interesting names make the list -- Paul Maholm, David DeJesus, Reed Johnson and Carlos Marmol.

Marmol would figure to be gone if he could raise his value and Heyman brings up valid points on Maholm and DeJesus, two veterans that have performed well and could be minor moves that help a contender. Johnson isn't a starter at this point in his career, but he's a valuable bench player and one of the top fourth outfielders in the game.

One name that is not on this list is Geovany Soto, which is a little surprising. Given that the Cubs already have Welington Castillo and Steve Clevenger, Soto doesn't have as high of value with the Cubs as he would have with another team -- such as the Rays or Nationals -- that is searching for some veteran help behind the dish.

This is just one national writer's take on what could happen in the next two months, before the MLB trading deadline. For all we know, none of these guys could be dealt, or all seven and then some could find their way out of Chicago. It's impossible to predict, but Heyman's right, these guys do have some value.

White Sox' Luis Robert not feeling pressure of Rookie of the Year hype

White Sox' Luis Robert not feeling pressure of Rookie of the Year hype

Of all the White Sox players this season, the spotlight has shined brightest on Luis Robert, but he says that’s not the reason for his recent five-game slump. In fact, Robert doesn’t even see himself as a new face of the franchise, despite all the hype surrounding his MLB debut and hot start to the season.

“I honestly don’t feel that way,” Robert said via team interpreter Billy Russo. “I just think that I’m the new guy.”

Click to download the MyTeams App for the latest White Sox news and analysis.

It’s clear the pressure didn’t affect Robert earlier in the year as he notched at least one hit in his first six games, and racked up 14 hits through 10 games. As the impressive performances at the plate mounted, so did the buzz around the young centerfielder. But Robert insists he doesn’t think about it, even though he’s slashing a lowly .158/.200/.211 over his last five games, and out of the lineup for the first time in his career on Monday.

“I know everyone’s trying to talk about me, about my option for Rookie of the Year and that kind of stuff,” Robert said via Russo. “But for me I just feel like another guy for this team. I don’t feel that pressure, that attention. I know that it’s there, but I don’t think about that.”

So is this mini-slump due to an adjustment in the way pitchers are approaching Robert at the plate? Again, Robert says no.

“Pitchers have been attacking me the same way since the season started. I didn’t have good results the last few days, but I just have to keep working. There’s nothing different that they have done against me. It’s just a matter of results.”

Robert has shown a remarkable ability to adjust to a pitcher’s approach mid-game. Now it’s time to see how he adjusts to a little major league adversity.


RELATED: White Sox at quarter pole: Injuries, starting-pitching woes cloud rest of 2020

SUBSCRIBE TO THE WHITE SOX TALK PODCAST FOR FREE.

2020 NHL Draft: Winner of No. 1 pick revealed at Phase 2 of NHL Draft Lottery

2020 NHL Draft: Winner of No. 1 pick revealed at Phase 2 of NHL Draft Lottery

After the No. 1 pick went to a placeholder team — that would be eliminated in the Stanley Cup Qualifiers in the NHL's 24-team postseason under the Return to Play program — in Phase 1 of the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery in June, the top pick for the 2020 NHL Draft was awarded to an actual team in Phase 2 of the lottery on Monday. 

The New York Rangers won the No. 1 overall pick for the 2020 NHL Draft on Monday during Phase 2 of the lottery.

The Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, Pittsburgh Penguins, Toronto Maple Leafs and Winnipeg Jets were also in the running and all had a 12.5% chance of winning the No. 1 overall pick along with the Rangers in Phase 2 of the Draft Lottery.

The No. 1 pick of this year's draft is expected to be forward Alexis Lafrenière, who registered 35 goals and 77 assists for a league-leading 112 points in 52 games this season with the Rimouski Océanic of the QMJHL, where he also served as the team captain. 

No team has held the No. 1 pick finishing better than 26th in the standings since the 1995 NHL Draft, and no team made the top pick after playing in a postseason series since the Minnesota North Stars in the 1983 NHL Draft.

The 2020 NHL Draft is scheduled for Oct. 9 and 10. It was originally scheduled for June 26-27 in Montreal but postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which paused the NHL on March 12.

Click to download the MyTeams App for the latest Blackhawks news and analysis.