NCAA Talk

Mark Dantonio retires from coaching Michigan State football

dantonio-204.jpg
USA TODAY

Mark Dantonio retires from coaching Michigan State football

Mark Dantonio led one of the best eras of Michigan State football, but announced his retirement from coaching on Tuesday.

The 63-year-old had been at the school since 2007. He led the Spartans to the College Football Playoff in 2015 and two Big Ten titles. He tweeted out a message announcing his retirement.


“After much reflection and discussion with my family, I feel that it is now time for change as we enter into a new decade of Michigan State Football,” Dantonio wrote.

The timing is unusual considering firing and hiring season in college football has long since passed. On top of that, the early signing period for recruits has already gone by. Whoever ends up being Dantonio’s replacement won’t have much time to prepare for spring practices.

Replacing Dantonio’s accomplishments at MSU won’t be easy either. Dantonio took over a program that managed one top 25 finish in its previous 16 years (and that includes a five-year Nick Saban tenure). He left having produced seven top 25 finishes and 12 bowl appearances in 13 seasons.

The Spartans made three Big Ten Championship Game appearances under Dantonio and won two of them, one of which propelled them to a national semifinal. However, the Spartans had gone 27-24 since making the playoff.

DePaul hands men’s basketball coach Dave Leitao extension through 2023-24

daveleitaodepaulslidenew.jpg
USA TODAY

DePaul hands men’s basketball coach Dave Leitao extension through 2023-24

DePaul announced Thursday they’ve extended the contract of men’s basketball coach Dave Leitao through 2023-24. Terms weren’t disclosed.

“We are happy to reach an agreement to continue the improvement and stability that Coach Leitao has instilled in our men’s basketball program,” athletic director Jean Lenti Ponsetto said in a press release. “His vision of academic excellence, athletic excellence and community service mirrors DePaul’s mission in developing outstanding student-athletes and future leaders in our society.”

Leitao just wrapped up his fifth season in his second go-around as DePaul’s head coach. The Blue Demons started off hot, going 12-1 in non-conference play while picking up wins over Iowa, Minnesota and Texas Tech.

They struggled mightily in Big East play, going 4-15 with wins over then-No. 5 Butler, and later Xavier in the Big East tournament, prior to it being canceled due to COVID-19.

Fans and alumni have grown increasingly restless as DePaul has failed to move up from the cellar of the Big East. They’re 64-98 overall the last five seasons, finishing last in conference three times. Their best finish came in 2018-19, when they went 7-11 and tied for eighth.

Last season, Leitao led DePaul to its first postseason berth since 2007, resulting in a second-place finish in the College Basketball Invitational tournament. 

Leitao has acquired some talented players the past few seasons, including transfers Max Strus (now a two-way guard/forward with the Bulls) and point guard Charlie Moore (formerly of Cal-Berkeley and Kansas). Forward Paul Reed is a potential 2020 NBA draft first-round pick. 

Leitao's 2019-20 recruiting class ranked 34th nationally, according to 247 Sports. Forward Romeo Weems (Michigan Mr. Basketball) and guard Markese Jacobs (Uplift) headlined the group.

“I appreciate DePaul athletics director Jean Lenti Ponsetto for her continued support,” Leitao said. “The process of laying the foundation for sustained success evolved into a strong start to this season before a tough run through the conference schedule.

"I’m proud of the resilience of our players and staff to finish the season strong before all of our lives were interrupted with the coronavirus outbreak. The response we received from our fans and supporters all season was outstanding and we can’t wait to continue to build excitement at Wintrust Arena in the future.”

NCAA announces an extra year of eligibility for spring athletes

ncaa_logo_1920.jpg
USA TODAY

NCAA announces an extra year of eligibility for spring athletes

The NCAA announced Monday evening they will allow spring athletes an extra year of eligibility after the spring season was upended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

After the announcement was made, many fans immediately noticed that this was only for spring athletes (baseball, softball, lacrosse, etc.) and not for winter athletes. Winter athletes, including basketball, had their seasons suddenly cut short as the pandemic dramatically increased in severity in February and March, right as these teams were entering postseason play.

In their official statement, the NCAA cited excluding winter athletes from the extension because their regular season had either ended or had been nearly completed. 

Winter sports were not included in the decision. Council members declined to extend eligibility for student-athletes in sports where all or much of their regular seasons were completed.