NCAA Talk

Te'o admits to lying about Kekua after Dec. 6 call

988011.png

Te'o admits to lying about Kekua after Dec. 6 call

In an interview with ABC's Katie Couric that will air Thursday, ex-Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o elaborated on his thought process after Dec. 6 -- when he received a call from a person who said she was Lennay Kekua, and had to fake her own death to evade drug dealers.
Multiple times after receiving that call, Te'o spoke to the press about Kekua as being dead. He told Couric: "I get a phone call on Dec. 6, saying that she's alive, and then I'm going be put on national TV two days later. And to ask me about the same question. You know, what would you do?"
Te'o admitted to lying to the press about her death, and -- as he did when interviewed by ESPN's Jeremy Schapp -- vehemently denied being a part of the hoax.
A few more important details from the Te'o case came to light Wednesday beyond the Couric interview, specifically involving a few paper trails in the case. First, ESPN reported Te'o showed Schapp his phone records from the time of Kekua's purported car accident (April 28) through her death on Sept. 12. Those records have been a key to Te'o's side of the story -- the investigation commissioned by Notre Dame did not ask for them, oddly enough -- although ESPN was unable to independently verify the records, per its report.
Secondly, the New York Daily News obtained Te'o's 1-800-FLOWERS receipt for the white roses he ordered for Kekua's funeral. A message from Te'o on the receipt read: "My dearest Lennay, although our time together was brief, I feel like Ive known you all of my life. Till we meet again. I love you, Manti.
Perhaps more details about this story can be gleaned from Te'o's interview with Couric, which also included his parents.
"People can speculate about what they think he is. I've known him 21 years of his life. And he's not a liar. He's a kid," Te'o's father, Brian, said in the interview.
Earlier this week, it was reported the Tuiasosopo family may be convening to discuss a public statement, although that has yet to happen.
UPDATE: Phone records were released this afternoon that showed between May 11 and Sept. 12 -- the supposed time Kekua was in the hospital -- Te'o made more than 1,000 phone calls to a 611 area code number, where Kekua lived. 110 of those calls lasted for more than 60 minutes, which would help the verification of Te'o's story that he would stay on the phone with Kekua through the night while she was supposedly in the hospital.
Te'o's interview with Couric airs at 3 p.m. Thursday on ABC.

DePaul extends contract of women's basketball head coach Doug Bruno through 2023-24

doug_bruno.jpg
USA TODAY

DePaul extends contract of women's basketball head coach Doug Bruno through 2023-24

One of the icons of DePaul athletics is sticking around.

Monday, DePaul extended the contract of women's basketball head coach Doug Bruno through the 2023-24 season. Bruno just wrapped up his 32nd season as head coach of his alma mater, leading DePaul to its 16th consecutive NCAA Tournament.

While the Blue Demons were eliminated in the Round of 32 this March, Bruno has led the program to the Sweet 16 three of the last eight seasons.

“I am so thankful to be working at a great institution like DePaul,” Bruno said in a press release. “I never would have been here without coach Ray Meyer who gave me a basketball scholarship, Frank McGrath and Gene Sullivan who hired me in the 1970s."

Behind Bruno, DePaul went 27-8 in 2017-18, winning its fifth-straight Big East regular-season title. The Blue Demons also won their third Big East Tournament title in five years, defeating rival Marquette 98-63. Bruno also picked up his 700th career victory in February, defeating conference-foe Butler 86-68.

“I’ve been fortunate to have great assistant coaches through all the years,” he said. “My current staff is absolutely one of the best in the country.

"Most important, the reason you succeed is the players. I’ve been blessed to have tremendous student-athletes help build the DePaul women’s basketball legacy.

“I am excited about this contract extension because we still have work to do. As proud as we are of everything we have achieved, our expectation through the length of this extension is to take the Blue Demons to even higher places.”

 

Loyola rewards Porter Moser with multi-year contract extension

4-25_porter_moser_loyola_usat.jpg
USA TODAY

Loyola rewards Porter Moser with multi-year contract extension

Loyola is rewarding Porter Moser for his basketball team's success this season.

Loyola and Moser have agreed to a multi-year contract extension, the team announced Wednesday. The deal is through the 2025-26 season.

"We are excited to be able to announce a new contract for Porter that will keep him at Loyola a long time," Loyola Director of Athletics Steve Watson said. "He is the perfect fit for Loyola and operates his program the right way, with student-athletes who achieve excellence on the court and in the classroom and are also excellent representatives of the institution.

"We are fortunate to work at a university like Loyola, that values and has made a commitment to athletics. It is nice to reward Porter not just for an outstanding season, but also for the job he has done during his time here."

That's a well-deserved extension for a head coach who led the Ramblers to a NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1985.

As the 11th seed, Loyola exceeded all expectations, shocking the world with a Final Four appearance. The Ramblers took down No. 6 Miami, No. 3 Tennessee, No. 7 Nevada, and No. 9 Kansas State before losing to No. 3 Michigan, who would go on to lose to No. 1 Villanova in the championship game.

Loyola finished the regular season with a 28-5 record and a MVC Championship.

In seven seasons, Moser has a 121-111 record with the Ramblers, though three of his last four have been winning seasons.