The Blackhawks playoff hopes are on life support, the injuries are mounting for the Bulls and the White Sox and Cubs ready their rosters for opening week. Here are some of the Chicago sports stories you may have missed from the weekend.
It wasn't the weekend the Blackhawks needed, but they are still hanging around in the playoff race. In back-to-back games against the Colorado Avalanche, the Blackhawks picked up two points and lost ground to the Avs, which hold the second wild card spot in the Western Conference.
On Saturday, the Blackhawks lost 4-2 in Denver. They went 0-for-3 on the power play. The power play unit has been slumping in recent weeks.
The next night the same two teams met in the United Center. The Blackhawks couldn't get the win in regulation, which meant the Avs still got a point, but Duncan Keith scored the winner in overtime. With seven games left on the schedule, the Hawks are five points behind the Avs with a game in hand.
The Blackhawks now hit the road for three straight games away from the United Center.
The Bulls got blown out by the Jazz 114-83 on Saturday. It snapped a two-game winning streak. The Bulls were shorthanded with Zach LaVine and Otto Porter Jr. both sitting out the game. On the injury front, Chandler Hutchison and Wendell Carter Jr. were officially ruled out for the rest of the season. John Paxson said it is "kind of trending that way" for Porter, although they aren't ruling out a return for him yet. It sounds more like LaVine will return, but they are monitoring his patellar tendinitis.
Also, on the Bulls Talk Podcast, the crew talked about how Ja Morant would be a perfect fit for the Bulls.
Eloy Jimenez's new contract with the White Sox became official on Friday and there was a press conference with Jimenez and Rick Hahn on Saturday in Arizona. A few hours after the press conference, Jimenez had his best game of the spring. He went 3-for-3 with a home run and a walk.
While Hahn wouldn't say officially if Jimenez would be on the Opening Day roster, it was assumed that he will be on the 25-man roster. Some of the rest of the names are yet to shake out though. Nicky Delmonico was sent down to Triple-A on Saturday.
The Cubs are also trimming down their roster and made notable news by sending Ian Happ down to Triple-A to start the season. The outfielder had been up with the Cubs since making his debut in May of 2017. Joe Maddon said the move was made to allow Happ to get consistent at-bats in the minors and show improvement after struggling in the second half of 2018 and during the spring.
Additionally, the Cubs signed left-handed pitcher Tim Collins and optioned him to Iowa. To make room on the 40-man roster, the Cubs designated Brian Duensing for assignment.