White Sox

Paterno's family wants Sandusky emails released

584158.jpg

Paterno's family wants Sandusky emails released

From Comcast SportsNet
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Joe Paterno's family has called on Pennsylvania's attorney general and former FBI Director Louis Freeh to release all emails and records related to their investigations into the Penn State child sex-abuse scandal, saying a leaker or leakers have used selective emails to "smear" the late coach and university officials. Family lawyer Wick Sollers' statement Monday followed news reports of leaked emails between administrators about graduate assistant Mike McQueary's 2001 account of an encounter between former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky and a boy in the showers. CNN reported that one email outlined a change in plans among administrators after Athletic Director Tim Curley spoke to Paterno. "With the leaking of selective emails over the last few days, it is clear that someone in a position of authority is not interested in a fair or thorough investigation," Sollers said in the strongly worded statement. Sollers represents the family of former coach Paterno, who was fired in November and died of cancer less than three months later. Freeh is leading the school's internal investigation into the scandal. The release of the emails, Sollers said, was "not intended to inform the discussion, but to smear former Penn State officials, including Joe Paterno. The truth is Joe Paterno reported the 2001 incident promptly and fully ... In spite of these facts, however, numerous pundits and critics are exploiting these disconnected and distorted records to attack Joe Paterno." Paterno, Sollers said, testified for eight minutes before the grand jury that approved charges and "told the truth to the best of his recollection." Paterno was not interviewed by the university, was not afforded due process or did not tell his story in full, and was not allowed to see the files or records now in question, the lawyer said. Sollers called for the immediate release of all emails and records related to the case, adding that "the public should not have to try and piece together a story from a few records that have been selected in a calculated way to manipulate public opinion." Spokespeople for Attorney General Linda Kelly didn't immediately return messages from The Associated Press after the Paterno family released its statement late Monday afternoon. But when asked about the leaks earlier Monday, Nils Frederiksen, a spokesman for the state attorney general's office, said: "We do not comment on potential grand jury materials, nor would any such materials be released by this office." A spokesman for Freeh declined to comment, as did a Penn State spokesman. The emails, first reported by NBC several weeks ago, were unearthed during the Freeh team's investigation, both the university and Freeh team have said, and were turned over to state prosecutors. They are expected to be discussed in Freeh's report, which is due this summer. Sandusky was convicted last month of 45 counts of sexually abusing 10 boys. The scandal led to the ousters of school President Graham Spanier and Hall of Fame coach Paterno. Curley and Gary Schultz, a retired school administrator who was in charge of overseeing campus police in 2001, have also been charged with lying to a grand jury and failing to report suspected abuse. They have maintained their innocence. Spanier has not been charged, and prosecutors have said Paterno was not a target of the investigation. CNN reported on the content of the emails on Saturday. The emails showed that Curley and Schultz intended to report the allegation, then reconsidered, according to CNN, and that Spanier responded that he was "supportive" of their plan, but he worried they might "become vulnerable for not having reported it." The change came after Curley spoke to Paterno, as referenced in Curley's email to Spanier, according to the report. Spanier sued Penn State in May to try to get copies of his email traffic from 1998 to 2004, citing the pending investigation being conducted by Freeh. Lawyers for Penn State have asked a judge to throw out the lawsuit and said the attorney general's office, which is prosecuting Curley and Schultz, had asked them not to provide Spanier with the emails. The Paterno family does not know the source of the leaks, Sollers said. Paterno himself was known for his abhorrence for using email and cellphones, let alone modern communication tools like Twitter. "The question that needs to be asked is why this breach of confidentiality ... is not being objected to or otherwise addressed by those in a position of authority," Sollers said. "It should not be the responsibility of the Paterno family to call for an honest, independent investigation. Given the seriousness and complexity of this case, everyone should be demanding the full truth, not just carefully selected excerpts of certain emails." Sollers said Paterno didn't fear the truth and had asked his family and advisers to "pursue the full truth. ... It is the course that we will follow to the end."

Will an arbitration raise price Yolmer Sanchez off the White Sox 2020 roster?

1015_yolmer_sanchez.jpg
USA TODAY

Will an arbitration raise price Yolmer Sanchez off the White Sox 2020 roster?

Yolmer Sanchez could win a Gold Glove in the coming weeks. He could also be looking for a new job.

That’s the tough situation the White Sox face with the guy who served as their starting second baseman during the 2019 season. He did a very, very nice job of playing second base, too. Not sure what your defensive metric of choice is, but the commonly used defensive runs saved (DRS) stat says Sanchez was the best defensive second baseman in the American League and the second best in baseball, behind only Kolten Wong of the St. Louis Cardinals.

But the offensive numbers are the offensive numbers, the only reason we’re not calling Sanchez a slam-dunk Gold Glove winner, as that award has a habit of honoring the defensively and offensively gifted instead of just the defensive aces. Sanchez slashed .252/.318/.321 in 2019 with two home runs and 43 RBIs. The 10 triples he hit in 2018 to lead the AL dropped to four in 2019, and his doubles plummeted from 34 to 20.

With hotshot prospect Nick Madrigal — who has his own reputation as a sensational defender, the newly minted winner of a minor league Gold Glove — figuring to take over at second base in the early portion of the 2020 season, Sanchez’s time was already running out as far as being an everyday major leaguer. But Madrigal’s ascent isn’t the reason the White Sox might be forced to part ways with Sanchez this winter. Money is.

Sanchez is set to receive a multi-million-dollar raise through the arbitration process, something we figured was coming for a while now. But MLB Trade Rumors put a dollar amount on that raise last week, when the site released its annual arbitration projections. Sanchez made $4.625 million in 2019. In 2020, so says MLB Trade Rumors, he’s set to make $6.2 million through the arbitration process.

And that will likely price him off the White Sox roster.

Sanchez has plenty of value to this White Sox team, to be sure. He’s a great clubhouse presence, a versatile infielder and a guy who plays great defense. Manager Rick Renteria lauded the quality of Sanchez’s at-bats at the end of the season. But $6.2 million is probably just too much to pay for a backup infielder who doesn’t do much in the way of hitting, especially with that money needed to do so much more for the White Sox during what's expected to be a busy and important offseason.

It's not like the team won't be covered. The White Sox can hang onto Leury Garcia, who MLB Trade Rumors projected is due for a $4 million payday through arbitration. Garcia not only plays all the infield positions Sanchez plays, if not as exceptionally, but can play all three outfield spots, too. Danny Mendick can stick around for a fraction of the cost and man second base until Madrigal arrives from the minor leagues, perhaps even sticking around as the backup infielder Sanchez would be after that.

It’s all part of the shifting landscape with a White Sox team looking to transition from rebuilding to contending. As many fans as Sanchez deservedly won with his fun-loving personality and Gatorade-bucket related antics during postgame celebrations, he’s an example of the kind of light-hitting player the White Sox will continue to move on from as their roster simply gets better. You can expect Sanchez to be just one of those fading figures. A contending lineup probably doesn't have much room for the Adam Engels and Ryan Cordells and Daniel Palkas and Matt Skoles, either, as the front office look to stuff the roster with young, core players like Madrigal and Luis Robert as well as bigger-name offseason additions in the coming months.

As for the rest of the arbitration-eligible White Sox the front office will have to either commit to or non-tender, most would figure to be easy decisions. James McCann is projected to receive $4.9 million, Carlos Rodon is projected to receive $4.5 million, Evan Marshall is projected to receive $1.3 million. Those are all affordable salaries for a starting catcher, a starting pitcher and a reliever coming off a strong season. Likewise, after he was used 57 times, Josh Osich could certainly return to the bullpen mix. He's projected to get $1 million.

Conversations might be had about whether Alex Colome is worth a projected $10.3 million, but he has racked up 126 saves in the last four seasons and just finished the 2019 campaign with a 2.80 ERA, his lowest since 2016. He saved 30 games in 33 attempts, one of the best conversation rates in the game, and though his 3.91 second-half ERA compares rather poorly to his 2.02 first-half ERA, he remains one of the more reliable late-inning men around. It’s a safe bet he’ll be back, considering the White Sox didn’t deal him at the trade deadline like they did with their closers in the two seasons prior — and certainly they knew an arbitration raise would be coming when they made that decision.

The only other name heretofore unaddressed is Ryan Goins, who like Garcia boasts positional versatility in both the infield and outfield. He played six positions, including designated hitter, for the White Sox in his 52 games with the big league club this season. His projection is a very affordable $900,000, but he turned in a less-than-memorable offensive season. We'll see what happens there.

Now, remember these are projections, so if the White Sox offer these guys contracts and avoid arbitration altogether, the final numbers could obviously be different. But like Avisail Garcia last offseason, perhaps Sanchez is a victim of the projected increase in salary more than any lack of desire to keep him around, a rather large element when looking to project the White Sox bench for the 2020 season.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the White Sox easily on your device.

White Sox Talk Podcast: Myths about the 1919 Black Sox 100 years later

shoeless-joe-ap.jpg
AP

White Sox Talk Podcast: Myths about the 1919 Black Sox 100 years later

Chuck Garfien and Chris Kamka speak with Black Sox historian Jacob Pomrenke about the biggest myths surrounding the infamous 1919 Black Sox who fixed the World Series (2:30).

Gambling wasn't limited to the White Sox back then. Even Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker threw a game? (10:30)

The role of "Shoeless" Joe Jackson in the fix. (19:20)

Could Jackson ever get into the Hall of Fame? (27:00)

Could a World Series be fixed in today's game? (33:00)

Listen to the full episode in the embedded player below:

White Sox Talk Podcast

Subscribe: