The Preps Power Rankings saw some changes this week as the regular season for boys basketball is finally over.
With the IHSA boys basketball state playoffs in full swing this week, it will be fascinating to see which of these teams live up to lofty expectations and which teams fall victim to the upsets of March Madness.
1. Bloom (26-5, 15-1) (1) -- The Blazing Trojans closed the regular season with an easy win over Rich South. Considered by some to be the favorites in Class 4A, the No. 1 seed in the Eisenhower Sectional begins their postseason on Tuesday at Thornwood.
2. Thornton (29-1, 15-1) (2) -- Racing past Thornwood, Thornton is a major threat in Class 4A. The Wildcats are the No. 2 seed in the Eisenhower Sectional as they start the postseason with Stagg in a regional semifinal on Tuesday at Lincoln-Way East.
3. Simeon (22-8, 7-2) (3) -- Off during the week, the Public League Playoff champs are the No. 2 seed in the Lyons Sectional. Robert Smith and company will try to make it back to Peoria once again when they face Juarez on Tuesday at Lane.
4. Curie (26-2, 8-0) (4) -- Curie pulled off another impressive win by going on the road and knocking off a top-10 team in Notre Dame. The Condors are trying to get back to Peoria for the second straight season as the No. 1 seed in the Lyons Sectional. Curie faces host Argo on Tuesday in regional semifinal action.
5. Morgan Park (19-9, 6-2) (5) (3A) -- Morgan Park had the week off in preparation of another potential run to Peoria. The No. 1 seed in the Thornridge Sectional, the Mustangs begin their playoff journey on Tuesday at Ag. Science against either Morris or Thornridge.
6. Bogan (25-3, 8-1) (6) (3A) -- Bogan was off this week before the 3A playoffs begin. The Bengals are hoping to make another trip to Peoria this season as they're the No. 1 seed in the Hinsdale South Sectional. Bogan starts with the winner of a regional quarterfinal on Wednesday at St. Laurence.
7. Whitney Young (18-9, 8-1) (9) -- The Dolphins were off this week before the IHSA State Playoffs. The No. 3 seed in the Lyons Sectional, Whitney Young heads to Proviso West where they face the hosts in the regional semifinals on Tuesday.
8. Notre Dame (26-5, 8-1) (10) (3A) -- The Dons lost in their regular-season finale to Curie. One of the favorites in 3A, Notre Dame is the top seed in the Grayslake North Sectional. Heavily favored in regional play, the Dons tip on Tuesday in North Chicago.
9. Evanston (26-4, 9-1) (7) -- Ending the regular season on a high note against Maine East, the defending Class 4A runner-up is strong again entering the Playoffs. The Wildkits are the No. 3 seed in the Elk Grove Sectional where they open in regional semifinal play on Tuesday at Maine East.
10. Stevenson (25-4, 13-1) (12) -- Earning revenge on Lake Forest to close the regular season, the Patriots claimed the North Suburban title. Stevenson is the No. 1 seed at Prospect as they host their own regional during the week. The Patriots play Tuesday against Lake Zurich or Waukegan.
11. Loyola (27-4, 14-1) (13) -- The Ramblers earned a blowout win over Bulls in the final regular season game. Loyola is the top seed in the Elk Grove Sectional as they host their own regional this week. Tuesday is when Loyola begins postseason play as they play the winner of Von Steuben and Elk Grove.
12. Glenbrook South (27-4, 9-1) (14) -- A dream season for the Titans continued with a convincing Central Suburban Championship win over Niles North. The No. 2 seed at Elk Grove, Glenbrook South heads to Maine West this week. The Titans will open against Conant on Tuesday, but a potential matchup looms against Max Christie and Rolling Meadows in the regional finals on Friday.
13. Bolingbrook (26-5, 7-1) (15) -- The Raiders had one of the most notable wins of the week with a home win over conference rival H-F. Bolingbrook is the No. 2 seed in the Lockport Sectional as they head to Oswego East to play Plainfield East on Tuesday.
14. Homewood-Flossmoor (23-4, 7-1) (8) -- The Vikings lost a conference showdown with Bolingbrook to end the regular season. Still a very dangerous team in Class 4A, Homewood-Flossmoor is the No. 3 seed in the Eisenhower Sectional. The Vikings start on Tuesday against Shepard.
15. Joliet West (26-4, 16-0) (16) -- Closing the season unbeaten in the Southwest Prairie, Joliet West is the No. 1 seed in the Lockport Sectional. The Tigers will face Plainfield East on Tuesday as they travel to Romeoville.
16. Mundelein (27-4, 12-2) (17) -- Mundelein won against Warren to finish the regular season. The Mustangs are the No. 2 seed in the Prospect Sectional as they will play at Fremd during regional play. Regional semifinal action begins against Wheeling on Tuesday.
17. DePaul Prep (24-5, 12-3) (18) (3A) -- DePaul Prep closed the regular season with wins over Mather and Peoria Manual on back-to-back nights. The No. 2 seed in the St. Ignatius Sectional, the Rams host their own regional and play on Tuesday.
18. Marian Catholic (22-8, 8-1) (11) -- Suffering a loss to Richards to close the regular season, the Spartans drop a few spots before the playoffs. Marian Catholic is the No. 4 seed in a talented Bloom Sectional as they host T.F. South on Tuesday night.
19. Fenwick (24-7, 12-3) (19) (3A) -- The up-and-down nature of Fenwick's season continued with a tight win over Taft. A No. 1 seed in the St. Ignatius Sectional, the Friars host their own regional and open the state playoffs on Tuesday.
20. Hillcrest (21-8, 12-1) (25) (3A) -- The Hawks appear to be peaking at the right time with a high-quality win over Oak Forest to capture another South Suburban Blue title. Hillcrest is the No. 4 seed in the Thornridge Sectional as they open with Rich South on Tuesday.
21. Orr (19-7, 7-2) (21) (2A) -- The three-time defending Class 2A champions opened their quest for four with two easy wins over Rowe-Clark and Raby. The Spartans head to the Marshall Sectional where they will face Perspectives-MSA on Wednesday.
22. Hinsdale South (28-3, 11-1) (NR) (3A) -- The Hornets are back in the Power Rankings after knocking off York in the West Suburban Championship. The No. 2 seed in their own sectional, Hinsdale South plays Tuesday at Kenwood against either Nazareth or Noble Comer.
23. Cary-Grove (28-3, 17-1) (24) -- Closing Fox Valley play with a win over Prairie Ridge, the Trojans won the conference with an impressive season. Cary-Grove is a No. 1 seed in the McHenry Sectional as they host a regional this week. The Trojans start against Larkin on Tuesday.
24. Waubonsie Valley (27-4, 7-3) (NR) -- The Warriors have won five straight games entering the 4A playoffs. And that's without standout junior Ben Schweiger. The No. 3 seed in the Lockport Sectional opens the postseason against host West Aurora on Tuesday.
25. Benet (22-9, 7-2) (NR) (3A) -- A notable win to close the regular season against St. Charles North has the Redwings back in the Power Rankings. Benet hasn't lost to an unranked team since Dec. 6 and a recent win over Notre Dame remains impressive. The No. 3 seed in the Hinsdale South Sectional, the Redwings host their own regional semifinal matchup on Tuesday.