- MLB’s new pace of play rule changes have proved successful thus far, with the average game this season being completed nearly ten minutes faster than last year. Among the changes that were implemented are a between-innings clock and making hitters keep a foot in the batters’ box. Rob Manfred makes his mark yet again – 48 percent asset appreciation, nearly $10 billion in revenue, international expansion and a quicker game as a consequence of relatively modest rules changes. America’s pastime continues to get stronger on a regular basis.
- A new study from the National Bureau of Economic Research found that just 16% of NFL players go bankrupt within 12 years of retiring. While the number is troublesome, it’s far less than a 2009 Sports Illustrated report that said 78% of players are bankrupt or in financial trouble within two years of retiring. There's a need for all involved to take significant responsibility in improving these numbers: the player and his family, coaches and management, the Players Association and the league itself. As the economics get bigger and the stakes get higher, these issues will be more significant in the years ahead.
- Lagardère Unlimited Golf solidified its PGA Tour dominance with an impressive 1-2 finish at Augusta at the 2015 Masters Tournament. Twenty-one-year-old phenom Jordan Spieth won his first Masters green jacket, while legend Phil Mickelson finished second at the tournament. The company has done a stellar job in restructuring the Under Armour relationship for Jordan Spieth while not overexposing him. Phil Mickelson provides significant “business experience.” The two clients (in addition to the rest of the athletic stable) provide significant diversity, experience and corporate reach over time.
- National and international television distribution is a major component of the economics of teams, leagues and television networks. Globecast is expanding significantly throughout North America, complementing its worldwide presence. Part of the Orange international conglomerate, Globecast manages and transports over 10 million of hours of video and rich media each year, across five continents. Some examples of their major sports events include the ESPN Cricket World Cup, Roland Garros and the Tour de France. More efficient and lucrative international distribution means more revenue for teams, leagues, players and the industry as a whole.
- The NBA and Coca-Cola have ended their partnership after 29 years. Coke used its NBA league sponsorship to help revive its Sprite brand in the 1990s. The NBA has already reached a five-year deal with Pepsi to take over rights to the sponsorship category. The NBA always leverages one large sponsorship/partnership deal into a larger one.
- As originally reported by the L.A. Times, but in an article found and accessed from the SportsManias app, the site that provides fans with real-time information on their favorite teams, the MLBPA is preparing for a fight with the Los Angeles Angels should the team try to recoup money from Josh Hamilton. Hamilton is set to make $23 million this season, but he may not play for at least another month while he recovers from substance abuse issues. Another example of the risks involved in “superstar athlete brand management.” Hamilton seems to be approaching this issue with great respect and care, but the corporate sponsors and team owner will continue to monitor the impact on their respective brands.
- Nike is close to reaching a deal with the NBA to become the league’s new apparel partner. While the framework of an agreement reportedly has been reached, there are still several details that need to be finalized before signing a deal. Nike's new on-court rights will take effect before the 2017-18 season. Nike and Under Armour continue to fight it out on and off the court, with adidas still involved. As the NBA apparel issue is resolved, next up: jersey sponsorships and the revenues that follow.
- Lagardère’s North American expansion continues at a rapid pace, and the award nominations continue to stream in. LU received two nominations at the prestigious Sports Business Awards, as a finalist in the categories of “Best in Talent Representation and Management” and “Best in Corporate Consulting, Marketing and Client Services.” Major North American expansion of a worldwide conglomerate means more opportunities for athletes, event promoters, teams, leagues and the industry as a whole. High quality competition is good for everyone.
- The NBA averaged a league record 17,826 fans per game this season, as almost 22 million fans attended games. NBA teams also had 700 sellouts, passing the previous record of 676 sellouts from 20 seasons ago. The Chicago Bulls led all teams with 21,866 fans per game. Another successful NBA season at the gate, coupled with $9 billion in revenue, the $2 billion Ballmer sale raising all values and other substantial NBA benefits leading into the playoffs.
- Taking advantage of MLB’s shift on liquor sponsorships, the Kansas City Royals signed a multiyear deal with McCormick Distilling to produce limited-edition Royals-branded bottles of its 360 Vodka. The Royals join the Cubs as the only two teams licensing its logo for liquor packaging. Look for this as the “tip of the alcohol iceberg”; teams should actively pursue liquor sponsorship deals (as long as they are tastefully done and coupled with the admonition against excess). This should very easily expand into all other sports at a rapid rate – more money for everybody.
- As originally reported by the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, but in an article found and accessed from the Sportsmanias app, the site that provides fans with real-time information on their favorite teams, the Browns unveiled new Nike-designed uniforms with the word “Cleveland” displayed prominently on the front, making them the only team in the NFL with just the city name on front of the jersey. Besides the city name, the Browns will be the only NFL team with its nickname on the pant leg. The team will couple the nondescript helmet orange with a “busier” jersey and pant leg. More money for the team, more money for Nike and more merchandise sales for the NFL. Now a note to the Browns player personnel department: couple the logo excitement with positive team performance.
- Army has rebranded its athletic department and will now be known as “Army West Point.” The school collaborated with Nike for 18 months on the rebranding, but also consulted the U.S. Army and Academy leadership, current and former cadet-athletes, coaches, historians and West Point graduates. Another example of reaching the secondary logo and merchandise market through another method. Not just changing logos and colors, but actually rebranding the athletic department – change of image, merchandise, logos, etc.
- Through Globecasts’s global reach and local presence on each continent, Globecast secures contribution, international distribution and broadcasts production for every type of sporting, news and festive events. Globecast broadcasters get mobile and fixed satellite uplink/downlink, multicast distribution on any screen, including an IP feed broadcast who can be embedded into any web portal during the event. Key in the television industry is to provide international reach, diverse services and an opportunity to more efficiently enhance revenues. Look for Globecast to continue to be a major player in all aspects of media transmission and distribution.
- Georgia Tech is hosting a Rolling Stones concert at Bobby Dodd Stadium as a way to generate additional revenue to help cover the full cost of attendance. Georgia Tech AD Mike Bobinski estimates that holding the concert could add an extra $500,000 to the school’s athletic department budget. More schools will create more concerts for more additional revenue as well. As the pressure on schools to provide more revenue for student-athletes grows, look for diverse merchandise, possible alcohol sales, corporate stadium names and additional stadium events like the Rolling Stones, across America.
- The NFL and Harris County are at odds over NRG Stadium improvements in advance of Super Bowl LI. The NFL wants the luxury boxes and club seats at NRG Stadium to undergo a $50 million upgrade at the county’s expense, but county commissioners say the use of public money is a non-starter. As new stadiums complete their initial financing/lease period, teams are renegotiating improvements based on latest technological and architectural advances. In most cases, public/private partnerships remain critical in the base lease, subsequent renewals and refinancings for the overall facility as well.
Chicago, IL (December 5, 2019) – NBC Sports Chicago - THE NEW EXCLUSIVE HOME of the Blackhawks, Bulls and White Sox - is set to provide southside and northside baseball fans with extensive multi-platform coverage of the 2019 MLB Winter Meetings live from San Diego, Calif. beginning Monday, December 9 through Thursday, December 12, featuring nightly editions of Winter Meetings Live presented by Wintrust, SportsTalk Live presented by The Chevy Silverado, live afternoon editions of the popular “White Sox Talk” and “Cubs Talk” podcasts, along with massive in-depth reports/video offerings at NBCSportsChicago.com and via the MyTeams by NBC Sports app (NOTE: Fans located anywhere in the U.S. can download MyTeams for free on iOS and Android devices in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store). Please note NBC Sports Chicago’s 2019 MLB Winter Meetings coverage highlights:
“WINTER MEETINGS LIVE” presented by Wintrust (Mon, Dec. 9/Wed, Dec. 11 at 10:30 PM CT -- Tue, Dec. 10/Thu, Dec. 12 at 7:00 PM CT) -- Hosted by David Kaplan (@thekapman) and Chuck Garfien (@ChuckGarfien), Winter Meetings Live presented by Wintrust will provide fans with the very latest White Sox/Cubs/MLB free agent signings details, along with the hottest trade rumor chatter throughout the week. Kaplan and Garfien will also be joined by NBC Sports Chicago White Sox insider Vinnie Duber (@VinnieDuber) and Cubs insider Tony Andracki (@TonyAndracki23), along with additional national baseball experts, to break down every player move and provide additional analysis on how those moves affect the White Sox and Cubs heading into the 2020 MLB season. NOTE: Live stream of Winter Meetings Live will also be available to unauthenticated NBC Sports Chicago subscribers via NBCSportsChicago.com/WatchLive and the MyTeams by NBC Sports app.
“SPORTSTALK LIVE” presented by The Chevy Silverado (Weeknights at 6:00 PM CT) -- NBC Sports Chicago’s weeknight sports discussion roundtable program SportsTalk Live presented by The Chevy Silverado - featuring host David Kaplan - will on location in San Diego throughout the week providing viewers with the very latest Cubs & White Sox free agent player moves, news, rumors, analysis and more. In addition, “Kap” be joined each night by a panel baseball experts, along with numerous special guests from both teams. NOTE: Live stream of SportsTalk Live and is available at NBCSportsChicago.com/WatchLive to authenticated NBC Sports Chicago subscribers.
“WHITE SOX TALK” & “CUBS TALK” Podcasts presented by Wintrust (Mon, Dec. 9-Thu, Dec. 12: “White Sox Talk” podcast at 12 NOON CT; “Cubs Talk” podcast 1:00 PM CT) -- Live, afternoon “Winter Meetings” editions of NBC Sports Chicago’s popular podcasts -“White Sox Talk” (featuring Chuck Garfien, Ryan McGuffey and Vinnie Duber) and “Cubs Talk” (featuring David Kaplan and Tony Andracki) - will be presented exclusively via the MyTeams by NBC Sports app next week, providing fans with up-to-the-minute breaking news, updates, detailed analysis, along with appearances from a number of special guests. Fans located anywhere in the U.S. can download MyTeams for free on iOS and Android devices in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. In addition, fans can download all of NBC Sports Chicago’s podcasts at NBCSportsChicago.com/podcasts and simply subscribe to them via Apple Podcasts, Google Play or Stitcher. The podcasts can be played on any mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer.
NBCSportsChicago.com/”MyTeams by NBC Sports” app/Social Media – White Sox and Cubs fans are also urged to visit NBCSportsChicago.com and the “MyTeams by NBC Sports” app for expanded “Winter Meetings” coverage, along with video offerings, including interviews with team executives, national baseball experts and much more. From a social media standpoint, NBC Sports Chicago will also deliver a number of additional on-site Facebook Live (Facebook.com/NBCSChicago) “Winter Meetings” interviews and special segments throughout the week, along with “Sights & Sounds” highlights from ‘NBCSChicago’ via photos/quick video offerings from Instagram and Instagram Stories. Fans can follow @NBCSWhiteSox and @NBCSCubs on Twitter for the very latest White Sox and Cubs news 24/7.
Chicago, IL (June 19, 2018) – With the Chicago Bulls holding the #7 overall pick of the 2019 NBA Draft and the Chicago Blackhawks holding the #3 overall pick of the 2019 NHL Draft, NBC Sports Chicago - THE Home of the #AuthenticFan - is set to provide fans with extensive multi-platform coverage of both drafts on Thursday, June 20 and Friday, June 21. Please note NBC Sports Chicago’s draft coverage details below:
THURSDAY, JUNE 20 -- BULLS/NBA Draft coverage
- 11:00 AM & 2:00 PM CT -- “The 2019 NBA Draft Preview Show” - NBC Sports National NBA Insider Tom Haberstroh (@tomhaberstroh) previews the upcoming draft featuring NBC Sports Regional Networks NBA experts from coast-to-coast, including NBC Sports Chicago’s Mark Schanowski. Hosted by NBC Sports Philadelphia’s Amy Fadool, “The 2019 NBA Draft Preview Show” will be presented in two live airings this day and fans can submit their draft questions to the panel by utilizing the Twitter hashtag #NBAdraftNBC (NOTE: This digital-exclusive presentation will stream live on NBCSportsChicago.com and via the “MyTeams by NBC Sports” app; fans located anywhere in the U.S. can download MyTeams for free on iOS and Android devices in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.)
- 6:00 PM -- “SportsTalk Live presented by The Chevy Silverado” - Special NBA Draft preview edition LIVE from the Bulls/NBA Draft headquarters at the Advocate Center. (NOTE: Live stream available to authenticated NBC Sports Chicago subscribers at NBCSportsChicago.com/WatchLive)
- Between 7:30-8:30 PM (time approx.) -- Live #7 pick reaction/commentary from NBC Sports Chicago’s Bulls experts Mark Schanowski, Kendall Gill, and Will Perdue via an extended Periscope segment on the network’s dedicated Bulls Twitter handle (@NBCSBulls), which will include the trio’s responses to fan questions and comments.
- 10:30 PM -- “Bulls Draft Special presented by BlueCross BlueShield of Illinois” - Featuring Schanowski, Gill, and Perdue live from the Advocate Center, the Bulls Draft Special will dive into detailed discussion surrounding the Bulls first and second round picks, along with showcasing podium moment highlights/interviews featuring the new Bulls rookie from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY, an overview of every trade made throughout the evening, plus, post-draft press conference coverage featuring Bulls Executive VP/Basketball Operations John Paxson, along with a post-draft recap interview with Haberstroh. (NOTE: Live stream also available to authenticated NBC Sports Chicago subscribers at NBCSportsChicago.com/WatchLive and via the “MyTeams by NBC Sports” app.)
- 11:00 PM -- “Bulls Outsiders: Draft Special” - Hosts Matt Peck, David Watson, and John Sabine recap the NBA Draft from their perspective, along with their thoughts on how the Bulls first round pick will impact next season’s roster. In addition, the Bulls Outsiders: Draft Special will also emphasize heavy viewer interaction via fan engagement on a number of the network’s social media platforms including Twitter (@NBCSBulls; fans urged to utilize the Twitter hashtag #BullsOutsiders in their posts) and Facebook Live (Facebook.com/NBCSChicago). (NOTE: Live stream also available to authenticated NBC Sports Chicago subscribers at NBCSportsChicago.com/WatchLive and via the “MyTeams by NBC Sports” app.)
- NBCSportsChicago.com/”MyTeams by NBC Sports” app – NBC Sports Chicago’s Bulls digital reporter/producer Mark Strotman will also provide fans with thorough digital coverage of the NBA Draft from the Advocate Center on Thursday night, which will include real-time coverage/commentary throughout the night via @NBCSBulls and on the “MyTeams by NBC Sports” app. In addition, “Sights & Sounds” moments from the Advocate Center will be provided from ‘NBCSChicago’ through Instagram and Instagram Stories. For full NBA Draft content and videos, fans are urged to visit the network’s dedicated Bulls section at NBCSportsChicago.com/Bulls.
- “Bulls Talk PODCAST presented by Coors Light” - Bulls fans can also download NBA Draft preview/recap editions of NBC Sports Chicago’s “Bulls Talk PODCAST” throughout the week. Fans can download all of NBC Sports Chicago’s podcasts at NBCSportsChicago.com/podcasts and simply subscribe to them via Apple Podcasts, Google Play or Stitcher. The podcasts can be played on any mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer.
FRIDAY, JUNE 21 -- BLACKHAWKS/NHL Draft coverage
- 6:00 PM CT -- “SportsTalk Live presented by The Chevy Silverado” - Special NHL Draft preview edition featuring on-site, pre-draft reports from NBC Sports Chicago Blackhawks expert Pat Boyle and Blackhawks digital reporter/producer Charlie Roumeliotis LIVE from Rogers Arena in Vancouver, B.C. (NOTE: Live stream available to authenticated NBC Sports Chicago subscribers at NBCSportsChicago.com/WatchLive)
- 6:30 PM -- 2019 NHL Draft (LIVE on NBCSN) – NBCSN will provide live first round coverage of the 2019 NHL Draft from Rogers Arena, which will feature in-depth player profile coverage of the Blackhawks #3 overall pick (live stream available via NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app). Liam McHugh and Kathryn Tappen will host coverage alongside Emmy Award-winning analyst Pierre McGuire and NHL Insiders Bob McKenzie, Craig Button, and Darren Dreger.
- NBCSportsChicago.com/”MyTeams by NBC Sports” app (Blackhawks draft coverage presented by Elgin Hyundai/Dundee Ford) – Boyle and Roumeliotis will be on location in Vancouver throughout the weekend providing fans with thorough digital coverage of the Draft, which will include draft capsules of every Blackhawks draft pick, along with scheduled interviews featuring Blackhawks SVP/GM Stan Bowman and VP/Amateur Scouting Mark Kelley. NBC Sports Chicago will also deliver up-to-the-minute coverage/commentary throughout the weekend via NBC Sports Chicago’s dedicated Blackhawks Twitter handle @NBCSBlackhawks and on the “MyTeams by NBC Sports” app. In addition, “Sights & Sounds” moments from Rogers Arena will be provided from ‘NBCSChicago’ through Instagram and Instagram Stories. For full NHL Draft player profiles, content, and videos, fans are urged to visit the network’s dedicated Blackhawks section at NBCSportsChicago.com/Blackhawks.
- “Blackhawks Talk PODCAST presented by ChevyDrivesChicago.com” - NBC Sports Chicago will also deliver NHL Draft preview/recap editions of its “Blackhawks Talk PODCAST” featuring Boyle, Roumeliotis, along with special guest interviews. Fans can download all of NBC Sports Chicago’s podcasts at NBCSportsChicago.com/podcasts and simply subscribe to them via Apple Podcasts, Google Play or Stitcher. The podcasts can be played on any mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer.
NBC Sports Chicago, a partnership between the Chicago Blackhawks (NHL), Chicago Bulls (NBA), Chicago Cubs (MLB), Chicago White Sox (MLB) and the NBC Sports Group, features over 275 live pro games in high definition each year. In addition, NBC Sports Chicago delivers extensive pre/post-game coverage for its core pro team partners, as well as Chicago Bears postgame coverage, local sports discussion programs that includes SportsTalk Live, and massive cross-platform coverage provided by the network’s growing digital platform, NBCSportsChicago.com, the new “MyTeams by NBC Sports” app, and its variety of fan-focused social media outlets. Fans can follow the network on Twitter via @NBCSChicago.
NBC Sports Regional Networks is NBC Sports Group’s portfolio of nine regional networks that delivers more than 2,200 live sporting events and original content to more than 35 million homes. Aligned within Eastern and Western Divisions, the NBC Sports Regional Networks are: NBC Sports Boston, NBC Sports Philadelphia, NBC Sports Philadelphia +, NBC Sports Washington, NBC Sports Washington + and SNY; and NBC Sports Bay Area, NBC Sports California, NBC Sports Chicago/NBC Sports Chicago+, and NBC Sports Northwest. For more information on NBC Sports Group properties, including press releases, photos, talent and executive bios, headshots and logos, please visit www.NBCSportsGroupPressBox.com.