Football

Why Ryan Pace believes in Trubisky despite declining fifth-year option

Why Ryan Pace believes in Trubisky despite declining fifth-year option

Ryan Pace still believes in Mitch Trubisky despite not picking up Trubisky's fifth-year option.

Pace said he hopes the 25-year-old — whom he drafted for the Bears in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft — can make a comeback and earn a contract like Kyle Fuller did in 2017.

"We believe in Mitch — that doesn’t change,” Pace told 670 The Score on Thursday. “I think you can point to Kyle Fuller as a great example of a player that didn’t get his option exercised. I think we would say it worked out well for him and for us.”

Trubisky will be competing against Nick Foles for starting quarterback this season. Picking up Trubisky's option would have put the Bears in a financial bind for $24.8 million in 2021.

Pace is doing everything he can in the front office to improve this Bears' team, and he knows that everyone is behind him doing the same thing.

“We’ve always had the approach that we’re honest and we’re truthful with our players and our staff, and we move on and we get to work, ” he said. “Mitch gets it. Everyone’s competing. Everyone’s focused on better results. That’s the entire team. That starts with me and everybody."

MORE: How Bears' quarterback competition could be impacted by 'easy' early games

 

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of the Bears.

Edgy Tim's Recruiting News and Notes

footballs.png
USA Today

Edgy Tim's Recruiting News and Notes

Ottawa Marquette three-star ranked tight end Vic Mullen (6-foot-6, 235 pounds) earlier this week gave Louisville his verbal commitment. Mullen, who chose Louisville over scholarship offers from the likes of Syracuse, Iowa State and Central Florida, told CardinalSports.com's Dave Lackford why he decided upon the Cardinals. 

"Every time I've been to Louisville it feels like a second home," Mullen said. "It just felt like Louisvville is the place I need to be. I like the coaches at Louisville and  they just treat you right and Louisville is just the best fit."

Mullen was also able to make three separate unofficial visits to Louisville over the past year, which Mullen admitted played a big role in his decision. Recruits have not been allowed to make any on-campus visits since the NCAA enacted the current Dead Period on March 13 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Marengo (Ill.) junior defensive end recruit Jonah Pace (6-foot-5, 235 pounds) decided to give Central Michigan his verbal commitment last night. 

"I feel great about my decision to commit to Central Michigan," Pace said. "Central Michigan is just a very solid program and the coaches at CMU have built a great foundation. I just felt ready and I wanted to be a part of something great they are building there."

Pace, who also considered several offers from FCS level schools in the end pointed towards several key factors in favor of the CMU Chippewas.

"I looked hard at all of the schools who offered me," he said. "Illinois State, Fordham and North Dakota really caught my attention and they are great teams and schools. In the end the combination of playing at the FBS level along with everything that Central Michigan has to offer was too hard for me to pass up. My family is totally on board with my decision and they are really happy and excited for me."

Mount Carmel junior three-star ranked safety recruit Benjamin Perry (6-foot-3, 190 pounds) recently named his Top 7 favorite schools listing that includes Cincinnati, Illinois, Iowa State. Louisville, Michigan State and Northwestern. On Wednesday night Perry announced via his Instagram account that he will make his college decision announcement on Sunday at 1 pm. While Perry has been quiet for the most part on any leanings, I'm looking at either Louisville, Minnesota or Michigan State as potential landing spots for Perry. 

Bolingbrook junior three-star ranked outside linebacker recruit Tyler McLaurin also named his Top 5 favorite schools list earlier this week and it includes Michigan, Iowa State, Michigan State, Texas Tech and Nebraska. McLaurin, who said earlier this month he was planning to announce his college choice on July 7, could end up pushing up that decision date due to a recent rush in verbal commitments. Several top ranked names have made recent verbal commitments nationally and in many cases recruits have pointed to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and uncertainty of how long it could continue. McLaurin has made unofficial visits to all four schools except Texas Tech. 

Bears' Leno Jr. is really excited about rookie CB Jaylon Johnson

Bears' Leno Jr. is really excited about rookie CB Jaylon Johnson

Bears fans are excited to see what the latest draft picks can bring to the team this season, and offensive tackle Charles Leno Jr. is excited for one player in particular.

On Wednesday's episode of the Gottem Podcast, the Pro Bowler said that he is really excited to watch rookie cornerback Jaylon Johnson play for the Bears.

"I really enjoy watching his (Johnson's) highlight tape," Leno Jr. said. "He can play some ball."

Johnson, a defensive back out of Utah, was picked in the second round (50th overall) by the Bears and was the first defensive player the Bears selected. The Bears released starting cornerback Prince Amukamara in February and are looking for someone to take the starting job opposite Kyle Fuller.

Johnson will be up against Kevin Toliver, Tre Roberson and Artie Burns.

Pro Football Focus named Johnson as its favorite pick from the Bears, stating that Johnson is 'one of the feisteist cornerbacks in the draft class and an exceptional fit for a zone-heavy team like the Bears.'

And Leno Jr. agrees.

Looking forward to seeing if the feisty cornerback out of Utah can help the Bears remain a top-ranked defense in the NFL.

RELATED: Bears cornerback Jaylon Johnson looking to prove doubters wrong in 2020

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of the Bears.