NBC Sports Chicago is simulating the 2020 White Sox season via MLB The Show during the postponement of play. The White Sox, stocked with young talent and veteran offseason acquisitions, were expected to take a big step forward in their rebuild this season. Follow along as we play out the first few months of the season.
Result: Giants def. White Sox 5-4
Record: 14-24, 4th in AL Central (8.0 GB of Twins)
W: Jandel Gustave (2-1)
L: Aaron Bummer (2-1)
Game Summary: After dropping two of three to the Tampa Bay Rays, the White Sox traveled to take on the Giants at Oracle Park, and unfortunately, the losing ways continued. After taking a 4-2 lead in the sixth, the White Sox bullpen blew the two-run lead to send the game to extra innings. With two aboard in the 11th, Giants manager Gabe Kapler sent Rob Brantly to the plate as the pinch hitter against Aaron Bummer. Brantly got the best of Bummer with a walk-off double to propel the Giants to a 5-4 win.
Early on, the fans were treated to the lefty vs. lefty matchup of Gio Gonzalez and Drew Smyly. Gonzalez had a rough start to the game when the second batter he faced, Austin Slater, hit a inside-the-park home run to right field that Nomar Mazara misplayed. Gonzalez settled and was solid in 6.0 innings of work, allowing only three earned runs.
Smyly struggled against the Sox as Jose Abreu homered and drove in a run in his next at bat, while Yasmani Grandal and Tim Anderson both had RBI singles to boost a Sox offense that has recently turned things around at the plate.
White Sox Lineup:
- Tim Anderson: 1-5, RBI, BB (.296 BA)
- Yoan Moncada: 1-4, 2 BB (.260 BA)
- Jose Abreu: 2-3, HR, 2 RBI, 3 BB (.248 BA)
- Yasmani Grandal: 2-5, RBI, BB (.267 BA)
- Eloy Jimenez: 0-5 (.225 BA)
- Luis Robert: 1-4, BB (.240 BA)
- Nomar Mazara: 0-4 (.223 BA), PH: Leury Garcia: 0-1 (.181 BA)
- Nick Madrigal: 1-4 (.338 BA), PH: James McCann: 0-1 (.000 BA)
- Gio Gonzalez: 0-2 (.000 BA), PH: Danny Mendick: 0-2 (.353 BA)
- Austin Slater inside-the-park homered to right field. 1-0 SF.
- Jose Abreu homered to left field. 1-1.
- Hunter Pence singled to center field. Austin Slater scored. 2-1 SF.
- Jose Abreu singled to center field. Tim Anderson scored. 2-2.
- Yasmani Grandal singled to right field. Yoan Moncada scored. 3-2 CHW.
- Tim Anderson singled to center field. Nick Madrigal scored. 4-2 CHW.
- Brandon Crawford singled to left field. Evan Longoria scored. 4-3 CHW.
- Mike Yastrzemski doubled to center field. Austin Slater scored. 4-4.
- Rob Brantly doubled to right field. Evan Longoria scored. 5-4 SF.
Notable Performance: Nick Madrigal extended his hit streak to six games on Friday with a base hit off of Drew Smyly, a left-hander. The rookie second baseman is hitting .286 this season vs. left-handed pitchers and .364 against right-handed pitching.
Next Game: Saturday, May 9 - Gm. 39: White Sox at Giants (Reynaldo Lopez, 2-2, 4.91 ERA vs Dereck Rodriguez, 4-1, 3.77 ERA)