Luis Robert's stay on the injured list as a COVID-19 precaution could be a short one.
The White Sox center fielder went on the IL on Tuesday after experiencing flu-like symptoms a day earlier. General manager Rick Hahn said in a statement that the team was hopeful Robert's placement there wouldn't last long.
Wednesday, manager Tony La Russa reported that could indeed wind up being the case.
"All the tests came back negative," the South Side skipper said. "He's improving. ... I think there's a solid chance that we can activate him tomorrow."
That's great news on the COVID front, obviously. As for the flu-like symptoms that were bothering Robert?
"I think he's achy and regaining strength," La Russa said. "We're all really pleased with the reports, and it's just a couple of days, 48-hour thing. So he's going to make an appearance here and make sure he gets whatever he needs and then get him home and rest. Hopefully he'll be back tomorrow, and playing."
The White Sox were hoping that Robert's stay away from the team would be similar to the one Dylan Cease had earlier this month, when he was put on the IL with symptoms as a COVID precaution, only to return a couple days later and make a scheduled start.
The White Sox certainly can't afford much more attrition in their outfield. Eloy Jiménez will be on the mend for several months after surgery to repair a ruptured pectoral tendon. And Adam Engel remains on the injured list with a hamstring strain. That's forced a by-committee approach to plugging the hole in left, with some of those same players lining up behind Robert on the depth chart in center.
In other words, having a healthy Robert is paramount for the White Sox. Fortunately, it sounds like his absence will be short lived.