Blackhawks

Word on the Street: Boozer sues over 1 million

Word on the Street: Boozer sues over 1 million

Thursday, March 24, 2011
CSNChicago.com

Boozer allegedly ripped off for 1 million

Attorneys for Bulls forward Carlos Boozer have filed a lawsuit in Miami against a businessman, Claudio Osorio, who Boozer alleges squandered his 1 million investment in Osorio's company, InnoVida holdings. Boozer declined to comment on the suit.

This guy Osorio had an air of credibility, Boozers attorney, David Nunez, told the South Florida Business Journal. Thats how he was able to gain access to all these deep-pocket investors. (Chicago Sun-Times)

Van Gundy: MVP race already decided

Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy says that, even though there are still just over ten games left in the season, the MVP race has already been decided. Van Gundy believes that Derrick Rose, not his Dwight Howard, winning the 2010-11 MVP award is a foregone conclusion.

Brian Schmitz, writer for the Orlando Sentinel, agrees with Van Gundy's conclusion but thinks that Howard is building his case to win the award next season. (Orlando Sentinel)

Johnson, Barney make the team

The Cubs made another round of cuts today, sending Augie Ojeda, Bobby Scales, Scott Moore and Matt Camp to minor league camp and optioning Fernando Perez to Triple-A Iowa. What all of this means is that Reed Johnson has grabbed the last outfield spot and Darwin Barney will be one of the Cubs' infielders on opening day, whether starting or on the bench. (ChicagoBreakingSports)

Hawks' Bowman applauds harsh sanctions

Blackhawks vice president and general manager is applauding the NHL for handing down severe sanctions for hits to the head like they did to Mat Cooke of the Pittsburgh Penguins this week. Cooke was suspended for the remainder of the regular season as well as the first round of the playoffs after a blatant elbow to the head of the Rangers' Ryan McDonagh on Sunday.

"Looking at the reaction, not just from the league but from other players and even from the Pittsburgh team themselves, I think they all concede that's not the kind of play we want in the game," Bowman said. (ChicagoBreakingSports)Manchester United to play the Fire?

EPLTalk.com is reporting that, according to an unnamed source, Manchester United is planning to play the Chicago Fire this summer. The game is tentatively scheduled for July 23rd, but no location has been chosen. The leading possibilities are likely Soldier Field or Toyota park, however there was some noise earlier this year that there might be a Manchester United game at Wrigley field.

Even with all of the hype, though, no official sources have come out to confirm these reports. (Hot Time in Old Town)

Chicago Fire acquire defender

The Chicago Fire have acquired the rights to Yamith Cuesta in a trade with Chivas USA. In exchange for Cuesta, Chivas USA received a 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft selection. Cuesta will immediately be added to the team roster but, due to league and team policy, the terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Yamith is a gifted defender with size, speed and strong defensive skills, said Fire Technical Director Frank Klopas. Our defense will benefit from bringing in a young player with experience both in MLS and his native Colombia.(TribalFootball.com)

Change of plans? Adam Boqvist could start season with Blackhawks

adam_boqvist_usa_today.jpg
USA TODAY

Change of plans? Adam Boqvist could start season with Blackhawks

That was quick. 

Hours after we wrote how Adam Boqvist has been flying under the radar this training camp because his NHL timeline could still be 2-3 years away — something even he admitted after the Blackhawks drafted him No. 8 overall in June — he put on a strong showing in his second preseason game on Thursday against the Detroit Red Wings playing on the top pairing and leading the team in ice time (22:15). 

His offensive skill is evident. So is his general skating ability. What really stood out was how he defended, particularly a 1-on-1 rush against the speedy Andreas Athanasiou.

This is the play that got Blackhawks fans excited. This is a player who has the ability to speed up his timeline if he takes advantage of this next year of development, which won’t begin in London on Friday after coach Joel Quenneville told reporters following Thursday’s contest that his debut with the Knights in the OHL is being put on hold because they want a longer look at him.

In fact, Quenneville didn’t rule out the possibility of Boqvist making the Blackhawks straight out of camp.

"I think as we've gone through camp and see him play through the games, we're watching him," Quenneville said. "We've been pleased with him. It's almost like, when you come to camp, we want to watch these guys. They make those decisions for us with how they play and it's been a positive one."

But that doesn’t mean he’d necessarily stick around for the full season.

Because he’s 18 years of age, Boqvist is eligible to play in up to nine games before getting sent to his respective junior team without burning the first year of his entry-level deal. He’s a slide candidate next year as well. It’s what the Blackhawks did with Ryan Hartman, who appeared in five games in 2014-15 and three games in 2015-16 before securing a full-time spot in 2016-17. That's the likely scenario if it were to reach that point.

It's hard to imagine the Blackhawks breaking in each of their top-two defensive prospects in Henri Jokiharju and Boqvist at the same time. And for Boqvist, you certainly don't want to waste any years of his entry-level contract when he could be using that time to truly develop so he could hit the ground running when he does enter the league on a full-time basis.

Perhaps the back injury to Connor Murphy, who is expected to be out until December, allowed the Blackhawks to view Boqvist's situation in a wider lense. Or maybe this was the plan all along.

Regardless, the Blackhawks may get a glimpse of the future quicker than they thought and it’s added a little excitement to training camp and the anticipation of Opening Day.

 

Melisa Reidy, Addison Russell's ex-wife, shares disturbing story of abuse

0217-addison-russell.jpg
USA TODAY

Melisa Reidy, Addison Russell's ex-wife, shares disturbing story of abuse

Melisa Reidy, the ex-wife of Cubs shortstop Addison Russell, posted a blog late Thursday night detailing years of enduring physical, emotional and psychological abuse.

The post can be read here, and much of it is pretty difficult to stomach.

The couple split up in June 2017 after Melisa posted a now-deleted Instagram photo alleging infidelity. A friend of Melisa's commented on the Instagram post that there had also been physical abuse during the relationship.

MLB caught wind of the deleted comment and opened an investigation of Russell under its then-new domestic violence protocol.

The Cubs sent Russell home during the investigation but he was never suspended by Major League Baseball.

Reidy opted not to speak with Major League Baseball as part of the investigation.

Before Russell returned to the Cubs he spoke with reporters and denied after the allegations.

“Any allegation I have abused my wife is false and hurtful,” Russell said in June 2017. “For the well-being of my family, I’ll have no further comment.”

Russell has struggled at the plate each of the last two seasons. Following a breakout campaign in 2016 in which he hit 21 homers and had 95 RBIs, he compiled a .722 OPS in 2017 and is down to .657 in 130 games this season.

Stay with NBCSportsChicago.com throughout the day for more details on this story.