Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up
Odds by

Sixth year approved for starting LSU lineman

An injury during training camp cost LSU their most experienced offensive lineman during its run to the BcS title game, but a decision by the NCAA will give the Tigers that experience back in 2012.

In a press release, LSU announced that “offensive guard Josh Dworaczyk has been granted an extension to his five-year clock and will get a sixth year.” The school and the player were informed of the decision earlier in the day Wednesday.

“I’m excited to be able to get another year so that I can finish my career on the field,” Dworaczyk said in a statement. “I felt like I had some unfinished business so being able to get this additional year is a blessing.

“Watching from the sidelines last year wasn’t always easy because I was so used to being a contributor on the field. Getting another year means that I get to wear the Purple and Gold again and for that I’m very thankful.”

Dworaczyk started all 13 games during the 2009 and 2010 seasons, and has played in 38 games since coming to Baton Rouge in 2007. He redshirted his true freshman season due to injury.

The additional season for Dworaczyk will be a huge plus for a line that will lose two players who started 15 games in 2011 between them.

“This is great news for our program,” head coach Les Miles said. “You never want to see a player have his career cut short because of an injury. Josh is a tremendous representative of our program and it’s nice to see that he’s going to get a chance to finish out his LSU career on the field.”