Shin-Soo Choo has been hit by more pitches than every team in baseball
I wrote yesterday about how Reds outfielder Shin-Soo Choo had been hit by more pitches than any player in baseball history through this point in the season and then last night he got plunked again.
Choo has now been hit 10 times in 19 games. You can read yesterday’s post to see how far ahead of everyone else that is this early in a season, but here are some more stats for a little context:
• None of the other 29 teams have been hit by 10 pitches collectively and 13 of the 29 teams have been hit by five or fewer pitches.
• If you remove Choo from their total the other Reds have been hit a combined three times.
• Choo’s career-high is 17 plunkings in 156 games back in 2009.
• Choo has already been hit 10 times, but no other player in baseball has been hit more than four times.
• Last season Prince Fielder, Carlos Quentin, and Kevin Youkilis tied for the MLB lead in hit by pitches ... with 17.
Oh, and one more tidbit: He’s yet to charge the mound.