Daniel Abt stripped of Mexico Formula E pole over tire irregularity
Daniel Abt has been stripped of pole position for Saturday’s Formula E race in Mexico City after his car was found to be running under the minimum required tire pressures in qualifying.
Abt stormed to his second pole in Formula E earlier today after topping the Super Pole shootout, edging out NextEV NIO’s Oliver Turvey.
The ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport driver had been due to lead the grid away, only for Formula E to confirm just before the race that Abt’s car was found to not comply with the technical regulations.
As a result, Abt has been sent towards the back of the grid, along with Faraday Future Dragon Racing’s Jerome d’Ambrosio, who also fell foul of the same infringement.
Turvey inherits pole as a result of Abt’s exclusion, with Jose Maria Lopez moving up to second place on the grid for DS Virgin Racing.
Jean-Eric Vergne will start third for Techeetah ahead of Nick Heidfeld, while Sam Bird lines up fifth.
2017 Mexico City ePrix - Starting Grid
1. Oliver Turvey, NextEV NIO
2. Jose Maria Lopez, DS Virgin Racing
3. Jean-Eric Vergne, TECHEETAH
4. Nick Heidfeld, Mahindra
5. Sam Bird, DS Virgin Racing
6. Antonio Felix da Costa, Andretti
7. Sebastien Buemi, Renault e.dams
8. Felix Rosenqvist, Mahindra
9. Esteban Gutierrez, TECHEETAH
10. Adam Carroll, Panasonic Jaguar Racing
11. Mitch Evans, Panasonic Jaguar Racing
12. Maro Engel, Venturi
13. Nico Prost, Renault e.dams
14. Robin Frijns, Andretti
15. Lucas di Grassi, Abt Schaeffler Audi Sport
16. Nelson Piquet, NextEV NIO
17. Stephane Sarrazin, Venturi
18. Daniel Abt, Abt Scaheffler Audi Sport
19. Jerome D’Ambrosio, Faraday Future Dragon Racing
20. Loic Duval, Faraday Future Dragon Racing