Red Bull GRC: New Corktown HQ for Buhl Sport Detroit
Buhl Sport Detroit, which made its Red Bull Global Rallycross debut in the GRC Lites class with driver Augie Lerch at the Las Vegas season finale, will become a part of Detroit’s downtown renovation process and head into the historic Corktown area.
The full release from the team is linked below:
Brothers Robbie and Tom Buhl are keeping the momentum of the rebirth of Detroit going with the announcement of their new home in historic Corktown district. The facility, registered as The Factory at Corktown, will be the home of Buhl Sport Detroit, a competitive racing team and motorsports marketing group.
The duo which launched Buhl Sport Detroit four weeks ago has made an investment in the city where they have a deep family heritage of community service and involvement. The Factory at Corktown is located at 1907 and 1927 Michigan Avenue, across from the old Tiger Stadium and will be the home base for the company.
“We decided to make the investment in the city to keep our brand local and to be a part of the continuing renaissance of the area,” said Robbie Buhl, co-owner, Buhl Sport Detroit. “Corktown has a great neighborhood group with a special entertainment vibe and we want to contribute to that atmosphere.
“The building is a great multi-use space for what we want to do with our new venture. There will be large functional spaces that can be used for parties, vehicle reveals or have a great party around the auto show. We are in the heart of the Corktown entertainment district where you can see the old Tiger Stadium field, Slow’s Bar Bq, the Mercury Bar, and the old train station is visible out our windows.
“We are going to invest in the building’s infrastructure while maintaining its historic patina. There is enough room to house our Red Bull Global Rallycross team as well as companies with like-brands that can benefit from a Detroit address. Living in southeast Michigan we all have gasoline in our veins, so we are excited to call Detroit and Corktown the home of Buhl Sport Detroit.”
The property has a rich Michigan Avenue history. Both buildings were constructed in 1907 by architect *Richard E. Raseman, and both were originally hosiery factories. The left side of the building was the headquarters of Chicago Hosiery, which moved to Detroit from its namesake city in 1898. Three months after construction started on this factory, work began on its companion, the Detroit-Alaska Knitting Mills. The Factory at Corktown buildings comprise over 44,000 square feet, up to three stories and has ample onsite parking for intended uses.