Thursday And-1 links: Fun with Amar’e Stoudemire fouling out
Here is our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• When Amare Stoudemire fouled out of Game 5 in Miami Wednesday, the Heat PA announcer in the building said “He has been extinguished from the game.”
• Notice on that same play, Stoudemire fouled out by running over Shane Battier. After the call Stoudemire walks over the prone Battier, extends his hand to help his opponent up, then just pulls it away and walks off.
• A look at which teams are getting the most free throws attempts per possession in the playoffs — or, who is getting the calls. Memphis tops the list with the Heat second, the Hawks and Bulls are on the bottom. What can you take away from this? The teams that pound the ball inside and attack the rim get the calls, the teams that settles for jumpers do not. Same as it ever was.
• The NBA is launching official Pinterest and Tumblr accounts during the playoffs. Got to say that the NBA gets social media.
• Don Nelson, the 71-year-old Hall of Fame coach, will get his college degree this week. And I thought it took me a long time to graduate.
• Coach Scott Brooks is looking for ways to keep the Thunder from getting bored while waiting for the next round. I sense a Fruit Ninja contest coming....
• The Hornets Jarrett Jack was supposed to be down for a couple of months back when the team shut him down April 9.
• Mickael Pietrus has a connection with the fans in Boston.
• Dan Gilbert thinks his Cavaliers can make the playoffs next season. Stop laughing, he means it.
• Expect Earl Clark to pick up his option with the Magic.