HBO wants a Hard Knocks team locked in by June 1
Over the past several weeks, ample discussion and speculation have emerged regarding the teams that will (or, more accurately, won’t) appear on HBO’s Hard Knocks.
Michael Shain of the New York Post (via SportsBusiness Daily) reports that HBO wants to have its team picked by June 1.
Plenty of franchises are out of the running. Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and Seahawks G.M. John Schneider separately have told PFT Live over the past week or so that their teams aren’t interested. 49ers owner Jed York removed his team from the running in response to a PFT tweet regarding Shanahan’s lack of interest. Also, the Falcons previously declined an offer to appear on the program.
The Broncos reportedly have passed. Ditto for the Texans. Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum told PFT Live last week that the Jets haven’t been offered the assignment (which possibly means they’ve made it known in advance that they don’t want to do it).
Per the report, NFL Films president Steve Sabol has been unable to personally recruit teams as he continues to fight brain cancer. “Without him going out to the teams twisting arms,” an unnamed “insider” told the Post, “it’s been hard.”
Still, HBO privately claims that there will be a team, and thus there will be a show. (The Jaguars currently are believed to be the only team that actually wants to do it.)
My first choice would be the Jets. Then the Saints. Then the Broncos, Colts, and Redskins. Beyond those five teams, it simply won’t be appointment viewing in 2012.
I’ve got a feeling -- just a feeling -- it’s going to be the Cowboys.
Feel free to post your preferences and/or guesses in the comments.