Skip navigation
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up

Koa Misi detained but not arrested after punching man in bar fight

Miami Dolphins v Buffalo Bills

ORCHARD PARK, NY - DECEMBER 22: Koa Misi #55 of the Miami Dolphins on the sideline during NFL game action against the Buffalo Bills at Ralph Wilson Stadium on December 22, 2013 in Orchard Park, New York. (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Koa Misi

Tom Szczerbowski

Dolphins linebacker Koa Misi was handcuffed and detained by Fort Lauderdale police, but not arrested, after punching a man in the head in a bar fight last weekend.

While that technically doesn’t reset our days without arrest meter, it’s another incident for a player with a bit of a past.

Via to Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald, this incident never led to an arrest because the other party didn’t want to press charges.

According to the police report, Misi and a group of friends going into an argument with a man named Scott Cabrera outside the Cyn Nightclub. They separated briefly, but according to the report: “Seconds later, Misi and other members of his group charged toward the nightclub entrance where Cabrera was standing in line. I was unable to stop all of them from charging and ran back toward the entrance, to where I witnessed Misi strike Cabrera in the head, causing him to fall to the ground.”

Misi was ordered to get down, but he tried to run and the cop “executed a leg sweep to bring him to the ground.”

(We knew things might be getting slow for Johnny Lawrence, but had no idea he was working as a Florida cop).

Misi was eventually cuffed and put in the back of a patrol car, but when Cabrera wouldn’t provide a statement or wish to press charges, Misi was released.

The Dolphins issued the traditional “aware/gather information” statement, but reports of the incident came after their post-OTA media availability.

In 2012, Misi pleaded no contest to felony battery with serious bodily injury, after breaking down a man’s door and giving him a beating which resulted in a broken eye socket.