Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up

Panthers guard says more than 50 players showed up for workouts on Tuesday

Jordan Gross

Carolina Panthers offensive lineman Jordan Gross reflects on the team’s 2-14 season and what might transpire during the off-season as he leaves Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C., Monday Jan. 3, 2010.. (AP Photo/Bob Leverone)

AP

Panthers players used police to keep the media away from lockout workouts on Tuesday. As it turns out, they didn’t need police protection; a small army of players showed up.

Per the Associated Press (yes, we always give credit, even to organizations that never give credit to us), Panthers guard Geoff Schwartz posted on Twitter that more than 50 players attended the session.

Tackle Jordan Gross, who organized the workouts with guard Travelle Wharton, said reporters won’t be allowed into practices until the final day of the session, June 9. “We’re just trying to prepare to win some football games,” Gross (pictured) told the AP.

Though some in the media have taken exception to the Panthers’ approach, it’s hard to blame them for deciding not to have to worry about serving as their own P.R. staff when they otherwise are worrying about serving as their own coaches.

The full list of attendees isn’t known. We’d previously heard the receiver Steve Smith hadn’t been invited, given the presumption that he won’t be back with the Panthers in 2011.