Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up

Spanos: No discussion of stadium plans until after season

V_X_Chge_fLP
The people of San Diego have rejected the Chargers' plan to use considerable public money towards their stadium plan.

In a letter to Chargers season ticket holders on Tuesday night following the defeat of a ballot measure to finance a new stadium in San Diego, owner Dean Spanos said that no decision about next steps would be “made in haste.”

One step available to the Chargers is to join the Rams at their forthcoming stadium in Inglewood. They were granted a one-year option to make that move when the league approved the Rams’ move earlier this year.

Spanos released another statement via the team on Wednesday and said that the team would be focused on football for the rest of the season before turning their attention to where the team will play football in the future.

“First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who worked so hard throughout this campaign,” Spanos said. “From the Chamber of Commerce to the Building Trades and organized labor, from the fan groups to the volunteers who helped us collect more than 110,000 signatures and knock on more than 50,000 doors. Every member of the Chargers organization will be forever grateful for your tremendous help and steadfast support.

“This has been a long campaign, and I’m sure we all want to put aside stadium talk for a while and focus on the rest of the Chargers’ season. Our team, with its mix of veteran leaders and young stars, has played some of the most exciting football in the NFL so far, and I can’t wait to see how we do throughout the rest of the season. Our players have shown great heart and resilience in the NFL’s toughest division. I’m eager – as I’m sure you all are – to give the stadium debate a rest and enjoy some Chargers football.

“So I’m going to put aside any discussion of our possible next steps until after the season, to allow everyone to focus on football and to give my family and me time to think carefully about what is best for the future of our franchise. Over the coming weeks you may hear news about steps that we must take to preserve all of our options. But please know that I don’t intend to make any decisions until after the regular season ends and that, in the meantime, I hope to enjoy with you one great Chargers game after another.”

The ballot measure in San Diego failed to reach both the two-third threshold needed to pass and even a simple majority of the voters, which suggests that finding a solution that leads to a new stadium in the city is going to be very difficult.