Terrelle Pryor will be in Monday’s supplemental draft
Terrelle Pryor finally has an answer: He’s eligible for the NFL supplemental draft.
And with Pryor’s eligibility finally determined, the NFL has now scheduled the supplemental draft for Monday.
The NFL announced this morning that Pryor is eligible and set the date of the supplemental draft for Monday, August 22. The supplemental draft had previously been scheduled for Wednesday, but the NFL’s lengthy delay in determining whether Pryor would be eligible led to the whole thing being delayed, affecting not only Pryor but also the other players in this year’s supplemental draft: Western Carolina defensive back Torez Jones, Georgia running back Caleb King, Lindenwood defensive end Keenan Mace, North Carolina defensive end Mike McAdoo and Northern Illinois defensive back Tracy Wilson.
Pryor, who had been the top high school player in the nation, was Ohio State’s quarterback for three years. Late last season the NCAA began investigating Pryor and other Ohio State players for taking improper benefits, and Ohio State said Pryor would be suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season. Ohio State later said Pryor wouldn’t have been allowed to play at all in the 2011 season, and Ohio State coach Jim Tressel lost his job in the investigation.
In an odd twist on the NFL’s decision, Commissioner Roger Goodell determined that Pryor will be ineligible to practice or play in the first five weeks of the NFL regular season, although he will be allowed to play in what remains of the preseason. The NFL apparently wants Pryor to feel some pain for the problems he caused at Ohio State.
The NFL is making clear that it’s not exactly welcoming Pryor into the league with open arms, saying in its announcement that “Pryor made decisions that undermine the integrity of the eligibility rules for the NFL Draft.”
But despite all that, Pryor will be eligible on Monday for any team that wants to spend a 2012 draft pick to acquire him.