Coroner concludes Svatos died of drug overdose
Former Avalanche forward Marek Svatos died early last month of a drug overdose, according to the coroner in Colorado.
The Denver Post is reporting that Svatos “had codeine, morphine and an anti-anxiety medication in his system when he died of combined drug intoxication.” The Douglas County coroner also concluded in its report that Svatos had a history of heroin abuse and depression.
“Drug paraphernalia was found at the scene,” the report said, per the Post.
Svatos was 34 when he died Nov. 5. He last played in the NHL for the Ottawa Senators in 2010-11, before finishing his career overseas.
As reported earlier by the Post, Svatos was living in the Denver area with his wife and two young sons.