PHT Morning Skate: Pastrnak’s great postseason; Lamoriello to Islanders?
Welcome to the PHT Morning Skate, a collection of links from around the hockey world. Have a link you want to submit? Email us at email@example.com.
• The Raleigh News & Observer provides an update on the coaching and GM searches in Carolina. There’s two known coaching candidates in the organization, but a general manager will likely have to be hired first. (Raleigh News & Observer)
• Leafs general manager Lou Lamoriello’s contract is set to expire at the end of the season, so there’s a chance he’ll be with a new team come next fall. Does a potential union with the Islanders make sense? (Newsday)
• Golden Knights forward Pierre-Edouard Bellemare didn’t take the typical path to the NHL, but his story is pretty remarkable. (ESPN)
• Winning the lottery will finally give head coach Phil Housley the opportunity to finally have the quality blue liner he needs. (Buffalo News)
• Great Britain will be playing in the 2019 IIHF World Hockey Championship thanks to a game-tying goal with just seconds remaining in their final qualifying game. It will be the first time in 25 years that they participate in the tournament. (Sportsnet)
• TSN hockey scout Craig Button put together his post-lottery mock draft over the weekend. No surprise, he has Rasmus Dahlin going first. There are six defensemen in his top 15 picks. (TSN)
• A Superior International Junior Hockey League player was suspended 25 games for punching a coach. (CBC.ca)
• David Pastrnak has put together an incredible postseason so far. How does he stack up against some of the all-time greats? The numbers may surprise you. (Stanley Cup of Chowder)
• The Canadiens’ offseason isn’t even a month old, but they’ve already made plenty of changes within their organization. Expect more moves between now and the draft. (Habs Eyes on the Prize)
• Not only did the Detroit Red Wings have a disappointing season, they also struck out with the NHL draft lottery on Saturday night. (Detroit Free Press)
• Up top, check out the highlights from Game 2 between the Nashville Predators and Winnipeg Jets.