What’s at stake: Final day of NHL season
Here’s a rundown of all the storylines for today, as prepare for what should be an incredible day of hockey. Some of the playoff implications are a bit confusing, especially in the middle of the Western Conference.
The biggest story of the day, besides the Ranger and Flyers duking it out for a playoff spot, is the race for the Rocket Richard with Ovechkin, Stamkos and Crosby all playing today.
1. San Jose or Chicago
2. San Jose or Chicago
3. Vancouver Canucks
4. Phoenix Coyotes
5. Detroit, LA Kings or Nashville
6. Detroit, LA Kings or Nashville
7. Detroit, LA Kings or Nashville
8. Colorado Avalanche
- With win against Detroit, Chicago would lock down #1 seed.
- Detroit wins, assured 5th spot.
- Detroit loses, combined with LA win and Detroit drops to #7 and Kings jump to #5
- Detroit loses in OT or SO, combined with LA win, Detroit drops to #6 and Kings jump to #5
- Detroit loses in regulation, combined with LA loss in OT or SO - Nashville #5, LA #6, Detroit #7
-Detroit and LA lose in regulation - Nashville to #5, Detroit to #6
Eastern Conference after the jump:
2. New Jersey or Buffalo
3. New Jersey or Buffalo
7. Montreal or Philadelphia
8. Montreal or Boston
- The Sabres and the Devils are playing each other this evening for the number two seed in the conference. Buffalo needs to beat New Jersey in regulation; one point by NJ and they automatically win the #2 seed due to tiebreakers.
- Either New York or Philadelphia will make the playoffs; both can’t make it. If Philadelphia wins, Montreal drops to #8 and takes on the Capitals in the first round.
- Habs fans are now big NY Rangers fans.