Oregon State completes 16-point comeback to defeat UCLA in the Pac-12 Tourney

Pac-12 Pool Photography

The Beavers did what they did all season.

They fought their tails off and in the end, their season will not end Thursday. 

Rodrigue Andela hit a pair of free-throws to give Oregon State a one-point lead with 57 seconds remaining in overtime. UCLA would fail to score on its next two possessions, turning it over with four seconds left and fouling Jarod Lucas, who hit both. The Beavers intentionally fouled with a three-point lead and got the rebound on the missed second free-throw.

Oregon State (15-13) became the sixth team in Pac-12 Tournament history to overcome a double-digit halftime deficit to win the game, defeating UCLA (17-9) 83-79 in the Pac-12 Quarterfinals. Oregon State trailed by 16 in the first half and by ten at halftime. 

[Listen to the Talkin' Beavers Podcast!]

The Beavers will advance to play top-seeded Oregon in the Pac-12 Semifinals where they will play in the semifinals for the first time since 2012. 

Warith Alatishe hit a push shot with 11.1 seconds left in regulation to give the Beavers their first lead of the second half, but Bruins guard Jules Bernard responded, hitting a game-tying free-throw, after missing the first, with three seconds left, to send it to overtime at 70 each. 

The foul call to send Bernard to the line was questionable, as were many fouls against Oregon State. 


Warith Alatishe and Jarod Lucas played quite well for Oregon State playing with energy on defense and scoring 22 and 17 points respectively. The highlight being Alatishe posterizing a Bruin on a tomahawk jam. 

Ethan Thompson, who became the all-time leader in games started in program history with 121, had a poor shooting game but closed the game well, drawing fouls, to score 18 points while adding four assists. In the final two minutes of the second half, Thompson hit a pair of free-throws and got an and-one layin. 

He fouled out in overtime after being elbowed in the face, but the referees called a blocking foul on the senior. 

Oregon State trailed by 16 points while being doubled, 32-16, with 4:42 remaining in the first half. Oregon State closed the half well to only trail by ten points heading into halftime. 

Coming out of the locker room, the Beavers played with high energy making UCLA uncomfortable on offense, ultimately tying the game on a Jarod Lucas three-pointer in transition at 45 with 9:34 remaining. 

Roman Silva fouled out with 5:35 remaining in the contest. He only had two points in 14 minutes but was a +7 when on the floor. 

With 1:55 left, the officials called a double hook-and-hold penalty giving UCLA an extra possession. Prior to the review, it just would have been a foul on Gianna Hunt to send Cody Riley to the free-throw line. Instead, Riley fouled out.  

Hunt proceeded to foul UCLA in the open court to send Jaime Jaquez Jr. to the line, who made a pair, giving UCLA a four-point lead. In the next possession, Jaquez Jr. fouled out going for an offensive rebound. He had 11 points in 34 minutes and was a +9 in the game.