With the addition of a tenth NWSL franchise in Racing Louisville FC, another expansion draft will take place this offseason on November 12th, 2020.
Now, we know who won't be leaving the Rose City.
The NWSL released the list of protected and unprotected players Thursday morning and Portland protected the following players.
- Simone Charley
- Crystal Dunn (US Allocated)
- Lindsey Horan (US Allocated)
- Kelli Hubly
- Meghan Klingenberg
- Natalia Kuikka (International)
- Emily Menges
- Raquel Rodriguez (International)
- Christine Sinclair (CAN Allocated)
- Sophia Smith
- Morgan Weaver
- Nadine Angerer (Playing Rights)
- Bella Bixby
- Celeste Boureille
- Marian Dougherty
- Brittany Eckerstrom
- Marissa Everett
- Adrianna Franch (US Allocated)
- Tobin Heath (US Allocated, Playing Rights)
- Tyler Lussi
- Andressa Machry (Playing Rights)
- Nikki Marshall (Playing Rights)
- Meagan Morris (Playing Rights)
- Meaghan Nally
- Emily Ogle
- Madison Pogarch
- Hayley Raso (Playing Rights)
- Katherine Reynolds (Playing Rights)
- Angela Salem
- Becky Sauerbrunn (US Allocated)
- Gabby Seiler
- Katrina Tarr (Playing Rights)
- Rachel Van Hollebeke (Playing Rights)
- Christen Westphal
- Sandra Yu (Playing Rights)
There are no suprises here.
With the Thorns only allowed to protect two U.S. Allocated Players, protecting Dunn and Horan was a no-brainer. Then, given the depth at goalkeeper on the roster keeping them all unprotected makes sense. Lousiville is not going to select two goalkeepers from Portland. Sophia Smith and Morgan Weaver were the top-two picks of the 2020 NWSL College Draft, they were never going anywhere.
Sinclair led the NWSL Fall Series with six goals and although she's 37-years old, she will be instrumental in 2021 for the Thorns competing for a championship. Kuikka was just acquired. Klingenberg and Menges are two of the team's best defenders. Rodriguez and Charley help drive the team's offense.
Racing Louisville’s selections will be revealed at the 2020 NWSL Expansion Draft on Thursday, November 12, 2020 on Twitch.