With the addition of a tenth NWSL franchise in Racing Louisville FC, another expansion draft will take place this offseason.
Now, we have a date.
The 2020 NWSL Expansion Draft will occur on November 12th, 2020 with protected/unprotected lists announced to the public on November 5th.
“We’re thrilled to take this next step in the process of welcoming Racing Louisville FC to the NWSL as they prepare to field a competitive team in 2021,” said NWSL Commissioner Lisa Baird. “Expansion drafts are obviously incredibly exciting events, but they’re also difficult for players and fans alike, so I want to thank the entire NWSL community for their support as we continue to expand our league and grow the game.”
The NWSL press release did not specify how many players each team can protect. In 2015 when the Orlando Pride joined the league, the Thorns protected ten players as a team who didn't qualify for the postseason. Postseason teams protected nine players that offseason.
The full timeline regarding the upcoming 2020 NWSL Expansion Draft is below. Further details will be announced soon.
- Thursday, Oct. 22 (1 p.m. ET) – Trade/waiver window closes
- Thursday, Oct. 22 (5 p.m. ET) – All previously unannounced trades announced
- Thursday, Oct. 29 (5 p.m. ET) – End-of-season process deadline
- Wednesday, Nov. 4 (5 p.m. ET) – Protected list due from clubs to the NWSL
- Thursday, Nov. 5 (1 p.m. ET) – Protected/unprotected lists distributed and made public
- Thursday, Nov. 12 – 2020 NWSL Expansion Draft
- Friday, Nov. 13 (9 a.m. ET) – Trade window opens