Thursday night marks the halfway point of the Trail Blazers seeding games when Portland takes on the Denver Nuggets.
With a 2-1 record following Tuesday’s 110-102 win over the Houston Rockets, the Trail Blazers are looking to continue to bridge the gap between themselves and the No. 8 seeded Memphis Grizzlies.
Thursday’s contest will also be the first time Jusuf Nurkic faces his former team in over a year. Nurkic has averaged 18.3 points and 10.1 rebounds in seven games against Denver since Portland acquired him from the Nuggets back on Feb. 13, 2017.
The Nuggets will be playing in the second night of a back-to-back when they square off against the Blazers. Denver beat San Antonio Wednesday afternoon, 132-126 behind Michael Porter Jr.'s 30 points and 15 rebounds.
You can catch Thursday’s Blazers-Nuggets game on NBC Sports Northwest, the Official Network of the Portland Trail Blazers with tip-off set for 5:00pm. Our coverage starts at 2:00pm with ‘Blazers Game Day’ followed by ‘Blazers Warm-up’ at 4:00pm and the Blazers Pregame Show at 4:30pm. Be sure to stick around after the game for Blazers Postgame and Blazers Outsiders featuring DJ O.G. One!
Portland’s Remaining Seeding Games:
- Thursday, Aug. 6 vs. Denver Nuggets
- Saturday, Aug. 8 vs. LA Clippers
- Sunday, Aug. 9 vs. Philadelphia 76ers
- Tuesday, Aug. 11 vs. Dallas Mavericks
- Thursday, Aug. 13 vs. Brooklyn Nets
[Listen to the latest Talkin’ Blazers Podcast as special guest Bill Walton joins hosts Channing Frye and Dan Sheldon]:
Quote of the Week:
It’s still surreal in a sense for me. I grew up a big Melo fan. He’s one of my top five favorite players of all-time just to watch. So to have the opportunity to be out there at the same time, it’s crazy. It still feels surreal. It’s a great thing. We’re clicking. The whole team is really locked in. -- Trail Blazers backup wing Gary Trent Jr. on playing alongside Carmelo Anthony
Top Game Notes:
• Thursday's matchup will be the fourth and final meeting between the Trail Blazers and the Nuggets this season. Denver leads the season series, 3-0.
• Last Meeting: The Nuggets handed the Trail Blazers a 99-127 defeat in Denver when the teams last met on Feb. 4. Damian Lillard paced Portland with 21 points (8-23 FG, 1-6 3-PT, 4-4 FT), two rebounds and nine assists while Nikola Jokic led the Nuggets with 29 points (11-17 FG, 3-5 3-PT, 4-4 FT), 13 rebounds, nine assists and three blocks.
• Jusuf Nurkic has averaged 18.3 points, 10.1 rebounds and 1.4 assists in seven games (all starts) against the Nuggets since being acquired by the Trail Blazers from Denver on Feb. 13, 2017.
• CJ McCollum scored 20 points (8-18 FG, 3-7 3-PT, 1-1 FT) to go with two rebounds and one assist against the Nuggets on Feb. 4. McCollum has shot a combined 8-of-18 (44.4%) from the three-point line in three games against Denver this season.
• Nikola Jokic has recorded a double-double in five straight regular season games against the Trail Blazers. He has averaged 26.2 points, 12.0 rebounds and 6.8 assists