Quinton Dunbar's case has taken another turn. On Monday, it came out that Dunbar has hired new representation to take on his case. Dunbar and his former attorney Michael Grieco have parted ways.
"We agreed that new counsel would allow for continued advocacy of Mr. Dunbar's innocence without any collateral distractions," Grieco said in a statement to the Seattle Times.
JUST IN: Quinton Dunbar’s criminal defense attorneys withdraw from the case and are replaced by new counsel who immediately serves discovery requests on the Broward State Attorney’s Office. One of the attorneys (Michael Grieco) had been implicated in a scheme to bribe witnesses. pic.twitter.com/RIiUT9t8aa— Daniel Wallach (@WALLACHLEGAL) July 13, 2020
This news comes in the wake of a report over the weekend that Grieco allegedly orchestrated a payoff of the four victims and one witness who provided sworn statements to the Miramar Police Department that Dunbar and Giants corner DeAndre Baker were involved in an armed robbery. Those five individuals recanted their statements to the police and signed sworn affidavits with Grieco that cleared Dunbar of any wrongdoing.
Given that Grieco is now implicated in potential witness tampering, it makes sense that Dunbar needed new representation due to a potential conflict of interest in court. The corner's new attorneys have already filed a discovery request so that they can get up to speed with all of the evidence that has already been collected.
We've been waiting to see whether or not the prosecution decides to take these charges to trial. Dunbar is currently charged with four counts of armed robbery with a firearm.
The Seahawks seem set to stand pat and let the process play out before making any sort of decision to cut Dunbar. Seattle traded a fifth-round pick for the corner this offseason, and he's expected to start opposite Shaquill Griffin in 2020. Cutting Dunbar would save the Seahawks $3.4 million.
It's also possible that Dunbar gets placed on the Commissioner's Exempt List while the charges get sorted out.
"The matter remains under review," the league office said in a statement to NBC Sports Northwest. "We have no further comment at this time."