Details keep coming in regarding the alleged armed robbery last week that involved Seahawks corner Quinton Dunbar.
You're surely caught up for the most part but here are the spark notes: Dunbar, along with Giants defensive back DeAndre Baker, reportedly robbed attendees of a party they were at last Wednesday of $50,000 worth of cash and jewelry. Baker and Dunbar allegedly had semi-automatic firearms. Miramar Police Department issued a police warrant that included details from four victims and one witness, all of whom offered sworn statements under oath.
Dunbar's attorney Michael Grieco has since filed signed affidavits from those same five people, who have now completely recanted their story and have shared that Dunbar wasn't involved at all. Those statements will likely exonerate Dunbar unless Miramar PD is able to uncover other evidence (like a video recording) to bolster its case. Grieco is confident that no such evidence exists given his belief that Dunbar is completely innocent.
In a recent development, Grieco has now learned that another key part of the arrest warrant is completely false. The warrant stated that Dunbar and Baker lost $70,000 while gambling at a party two night's prior. That would provide motive for the alleged robbery. Grieco told NBC Sports Northwest on Monday evening that he can account for Dunbar's whereabouts on Monday evening, and for good measure, Sunday evening as well. That gives him an alibi. As Grieco put it, the gambling loss was a "fabricated motive" and "can be disproven, just like the robbery."
"He was not with them that night or any other night," Grieco said of Dunbar's whereabouts in the night's leading up to the night of the alleged robbery.
Dunbar turned himself in over the weekend but was released shortly thereafter on a bail of $100,000. It's now up to the prosecutor's office as to whether or not charges will be filed against Dunbar. Given the lack of additional evidence beyond the statements of five people who have since recanted every word, it's very possible that this all comes to a resolution within a month, one that would clear Dunbar of any wrongdoing.
That would be incredible news for the Seahawks, who will once again have their projected starting right cornerback. Dunbar is entering the final year of his current contract, and he's in line for a big contract next offseason with a big season in 2020.