Quinton Dunbar has maintained innocence since warrants were issued by the Miramar Police Department for his arrest last Thursday.
Now, his attorney Michael Grieco says the Seattle Seahawks cornerback will plead not guilty to four charges of armed robbery later this afternoon, as reported by ESPN.
Dunbar was granted bail on Sunday following a night in the Broward Sheriff’s Office jail for an incident where he and Giants defensive back DeAndre Baker reportedly robbed attendees at a cookout of $50,000 worth of cash and jewelry. Baker allegedly pulled a handgun on attendees, but there were inconsistent reports on whether Dunbar was armed.
Reports also surfaced stating that the men had lost roughly $70,000 in high stakes gambling earlier in the week. Greico told NBC Sports Northwest’s Joe Fann that the gambling loss report is “completely fabricated.”
Greico says Dunbar is innocent and has said he has five sworn affidavits from witnesses to support that claim.
The Seahawks gave up a fifth-round pick to acquire Dunbar in late March via a trade with the Washington Redskins. He is expected to be Seattle’s starting cornerback opposite of Shaquill Griffin in 2020.
Dunbar released a statement on Sunday via Instagram apologizing to his team.
I would like to thank all my fans for the support and apologize to the Seattle Seahawks organization for any unnecessary distractions that these allegations against me may have caused. In addition, I am very grateful to be a part of a team that supports one another and uphold the credibility of each of its members through adverse situations. Moving forward, this entire situation has taught me how to not associate myself with environments that may mischaracterize my values and who I am.
Be sure to check out the latest Talkin' Seahawks Podcast with host Joe Fann and special guest Kevin Calabro.