What are the 76ers getting in Jimmy Butler? A guy that stuffs the box score.
Butler over the last five years is among the NBA's leaders in scoring (12th), rebounding (31st among guards and small forwards), assists (32nd) and steals (seventh).
How will it work out for the Sixers? Time will tell. But the numbers are pretty impressive!
Let's take a look!
• Butler has averaged at least 20.0 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1½ steals in each of the last five seasons. He and Russell Westbrook are the only players to do that each year since the 2014-15 season.
• Since the start of the 2014-15 season, nobody in the NBA has averaged more minutes per game than Butler. He’s averaging 37.3 minutes per game (over 277 games). Only two players are within one minute per game of that figure — James Harden (36.7) and LeBron James (36.6).
• Butler ranks 12th in the NBA over the last five years in fewest turnovers per minutes played with 1.7 every 48 minutes. Butler’s career average of 1.6 turnovers per 48 minutes played is sixth best in NBA history among players who have averaged at least 35 minutes. He trails only Horace Grant, Kerry Kittles, Wesley Matthews, Michael Finley and Peja Stojakovic.
• Butler has played 468 career games and amassed 7,728 points, 723 steals, 2,287 rebounds and 1,585 assists. He’s one of only 16 players in NBA history with at least 7,500 points, 700 steals, 2,200 rebounds and 1,500 assists in his first 468 games and the first since Westbrook in 2015. Among the others who’ve reached all those plateaus this quickly are Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Paul Pierce, Dwyane Wade, Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley and James.
• Butler has 171 20-point games since the start of the 2014-15 season, 14th most in the NBA and ninth most among guards/small forwards. He has 119 games with 20 points and five rebounds since opening day 2014, which is the ninth most in the league during the same span.
• Butler has five seasons averaging 20 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.0 steals and 1½ assists per game. That’s already tied for 11th most in NBA history with Rick Barry, Paul George, Hakeem Olajuwon and Pierce. Only Larry Bird, James, Jordan and Barkley had more such seasons in their first eight years in the NBA.
Stats courtesy of basketball-reference.com.
Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Flyers, Sixers and Phillies games easily on your device.