Eagles

Despite being held back, Darren Sproles flashes vintage self

ap_darrensproles.jpg
AP Images

Despite being held back, Darren Sproles flashes vintage self

Darren Sproles’ first Eagles practice since 2017 was nothing memorable. Just a lot of waiting to see how he looked followed by the disappointing revelation he wouldn’t be participating in most of the drills soon after.

At one point, Sproles even appeared to plead his case with running backs coach Duce Staley.

“If they’d let me go full-go right now, I could,” Sproles said Tuesday. “They’re holding me back a little bit.”

The three-time Pro Bowl selection seemed dynamic as ever coming off a torn ACL, albeit in extremely small doses. He ran a little bit. He fielded a few punts. And that was about all.

It sure looked like vintage Sproles out there, but the limited workload provided few firm answers to the question, “How his recovery is progressing?”

We likely won’t get a true sense of where Sproles is at until the pads go on at training camp come July. What we were able to learn, however, is what would compel a soon-to-be 35-year-old running back to re-sign with the Eagles return for his 14th NFL season.

“Because of the way I went out last year,” Sproles said. “If I would’ve retired after that, I might think later on down the line it wouldn’t have been right for me.”

Sproles previously indicated the 2017 campaign might be his last. That was before he suffered the season-ending ACL injury, as well as a broken arm, in a Week 3 victory over the Giants.

The truth is, Sproles was already contemplating another year before the injury. The thought of his career ending in such an unceremonious fashion wasn’t exactly easing him into retirement, either.

[RELATED: Eagles minicamp observations, Day 1]

Watching the Eagles go on to win the Super Bowl while he stood on the sideline was the last straw.

“Man, it was the toughest time ever,” he said. “That’s why I worked so hard to get back, so we could make another run at this thing.”

The Eagles were eager to have Sproles back as well, signing him to a one-year contract in April to reprise his role as a return specialist and situational weapon on offense. For now, the focus is purely on making sure he’s ready to go come September.

“He's ready to get back out there and go full speed,” Eagles coach Doug Pederson said. “But at the same time, I want to make sure these guys are a 100 percent before they're on the field.”

Though Sproles is not yet a full participant at practice, his presence is already being felt.

Sproles was lining up alongside teammates for drills he was not taking part in at Tuesday’s practice and talking shop with teammates. At one point, he pulled Nelson Agholor aside during a punt return drill to discuss fundamentals.

It’s not just Sproles’ ability that’s important to the Eagles. He’s one of the leaders of this team.

Time will tell whether Sproles can overcome his age and injury to once again become a weapon on the field. Then again, if that first practice told us anything, the Eagles will be better off regardless for having him around.

More from Eagles minicamp

Michael Bennett explains OTAs absence after 1st Eagles practice

Fletcher Cox wants to be Defensive Player of Year — can he?

After ring ceremony, Eagles will be done celebrating Super Bowl

Duce Staley confirms Eagles will have a lead running back

Nick Foles exits Eagles-Patriots preseason game with shoulder strain

ap_nick_foles.jpg
AP Images

Nick Foles exits Eagles-Patriots preseason game with shoulder strain

FOXBORO, Mass. — Eagles quarterback Nick Foles exited Thursday night's preseason game against the Patriots with a shoulder strain.

He’s questionable to return, but it’s pretty clear his night is over. 

Early in the second quarter, Foles dropped back to pass when Patriots defensive end Adrian Clayborn got around Halapoulivaati Vaitai and got a strip sack on Foles. The ball was returned for a touchdown. After Foles was hit on his right arm, he grabbed at it immediately and looked to be in pain. 

After Foles got checked out in a blue pop-up tent, he remained on the Eagles’ sideline and didn’t go into the locker room. Nate Sudfeld took his spot on the next drive. 

Foles had a baseball cap on as he emerged from the tent, indicating his night is over.

Obviously, Foles’ health is incredibly important for the Eagles right now as Carson Wentz is still recovering from a torn ACL. Wentz’s status for Week 1 is up in the air and Foles would start if Wentz isn’t ready. 

Foles is the Eagles’ high-priced insurance policy and they can’t afford to lose him right now. 

More on the Eagles

Eagles' Malcolm Jenkins, De'Vante Bausby and Michael Bennett stay inside during national anthem

Eagles' Malcolm Jenkins, De'Vante Bausby and Michael Bennett stay inside during national anthem

FOXBORO, Mass. — After raising his fist during the national anthem last week, Malcolm Jenkins stayed in the tunnel for Thursday night's anthem.

Jenkins was joined by De’Vante Bausby and Michael Bennett, who both also stayed inside during the anthem. Jenkins ran out with Bausby just after it ended and Bennett walked out a little later.

Jenkins and Bausby raised their fists last week as a demonstration against racial injustice, police brutality and the need for criminal justice reform in the United States. Jenkins continued his protest that had been halted toward the end of last season. 

While the NFL has put fines on hold with its new anthem policy, the policy states players must either stand respectfully or remain inside during the anthem. 

Jenkins spoke to NBC Sports Philadelphia earlier this week about being the face of the movement despite the negativity that comes his way (see story).

More on the Eagles