Eagles receivers DeSean Jackson and J.J. Arcega-Whiteside were not practicing on Wednesday afternoon as the Eagles began their week of preparation for Sunday Night Football against the 49ers.
Overall, it was quite an injury list from today:
Jackson, 33, has a hamstring injury he suffered during the game against the Bengals. Head coach Doug Pederson said on Wednesday morning that Jackson is “day to day.”
Jackson made an appearance as a spectator at Wednesday’s practice. He had a black compression sleeve on his left leg.
Arcega-Whiteside, meanwhile, suffered a calf injury during pregame warmups before the tie to the Bengals. That’s the reason Doug Pederson gave on Monday for why Arcega-Whiteside played just 18 snaps.
Pederson called Arcega-Whiteside “day to day” on Monday. JJAW was at practice on Wednesday in a bucket hat watching practice.
Without those two, the Eagles were light on receivers. The only completely healthy receivers on their active roster are Greg Ward Jr. and John Hightower.
In all, there were nine players who did not practice on Wednesday and four players who were limited.
Some notes from the lengthy injury list:
• While those two receivers were not practicing, Alshon Jeffery (foot) was as a limited participant. He returned to practice last week after missing nine months recovering from a Lisfranc injury. Jeffery will likely play either this weekend in San Francisco or next weekend in Pittsburgh.
“We're trying to increase his workload to get him back to playing here soon,” Pederson said.
• Sixth-round receiver Quez Watkins (back) returned to practice on Wednesday. He’s still on IR but the Eagles activated his 21-day practice window. They are allowed to add him to the roster at any time during that window.
• Three offensive lineman — Jason Peters, Jack Driscoll and Jamon Brown — missed practice because of illness, which certainly raises an eyebrow this season.
• Cornerback Trevor Williams missed practice with a rib injury. The Eagles might need him to start at corner on Sunday, so that’s not ideal. The only healthy corners on the roster are Darius Slay, Cre’Von LeBlanc and Nickell Robey-Coleman. They also have recently-signed Michael Jacquet on the practice squad.
• Miles Sanders (glute) was limited. They need to be careful with him; can’t afford to lose him.
• Jalen Reagor was put on IR Wednesday but he was still at practice as a spectator. He had a black cast on his left hand after surgery to repair the UCL in his left thumb last week.
• Fletcher Cox (abdomen) was not at practice Wednesday. Cox has been dealing with an oblique injury and the Eagles are going to be smart with him during the week. Cox said on Tuesday that he’s not missing games with this injury.
“I think I said this, like, probably a couple years ago, in order for me to not to be put back in the game you had to literally break a bone in my body, where I absolutely can’t walk,” he said. “I’ll do anything for his team, man."
• Jason Kelce (rest) and Lane Johnson (ankle) were at practice but were limited. Johnson said his ankle swells up some after games but by the time the next weekend rolls around, he’s ready to go.
• New tight end (and former receiver) Hakeem Butler was at practice. He is wearing No. 89 with the Birds.