Eagles

Eagles Injury Update: Ronald Darby nearing return

Eagles Injury Update: Ronald Darby nearing return

The Eagles have won their last seven games. And they've done it without Ronald Darby. 

It seems like they're about to get him back. 

The Eagles' top cornerback has been practicing as a limited participant for the last three weeks, but head coach Doug Pederson said Darby got more reps and was nearly a full participant this last week before the Broncos game. 

"He's another one that will be around to work on his treatment and his rehab and we'll see where we're at when they get back next week, we'll evaluate it some more," Pederson said. "He's in a really good spot to possibly come back and help us in the next week or so."

Darby hasn't played since the opener, when he dislocated his right ankle in Washington. The Eagles might have been overly optimistic when they set a 4-6 week time frame on Darby's recovery. But the bye week will allow him an extra week to prepare for Dallas on Nov. 19. 

Darby tweeted this on Sunday night after the Eagles' 51-23 win. 

Tim Jernigan played just 20 snaps on Sunday afternoon because of an ankle injury, but should be fine. The extra week will help him. Pederson said Jernigan could have come back in the game against the Broncos had the Eagles needed him. 

"We have this time now so he'll be fine next week," Pederson said. 

Here's a name you haven't heard in a while: Caleb Sturgis. But the Eagles' former kicker might be nearing a return from his hip injury. But with the success of his replacement, Jake Elliott, it seems unlikely the Eagles will bring him back from the IR. 

Elliott has made five 50-plus yarders in eight games. 

"Obviously comfortable with what Jake's doing and we'll just have to cross that bridge when we get there," Pederson said. "But nothing has been decided at this point with Caleb."

If nothing else, Sturgis offers the Eagles an insurance policy. 

Eagles QB Nick Foles reportedly OK after leaving game with shoulder injury

Eagles QB Nick Foles reportedly OK after leaving game with shoulder injury

Eagles quarterback Nick Foles will be OK after leaving Thursday’s preseason loss to the Patriots, according to a report Friday.

“After tests,” the Super Bowl LII MVP is not expected to be out long, per NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

Foles, who left the game early in the second quarter after a strip sack, didn’t have a great outing: 3 of 9 for 44 yards. But more important than anything, he appears to be healthy after a scare.

After the game, Foles said he was “optimistic” about the injury.

“It’s just the shoulder,” Foles said. “It sort of got jarred in a funny way as I was following through. It feels good. We’ll check it out tomorrow more thoroughly.”

Foles didn’t return to the game, but he also never left the sideline, receiving treatment on what the team called a shoulder strain.

With the opener still weeks away, Foles didn’t want to speculate on his status for Week 1, but didn’t sound like a guy that planned to miss much time.

“I’m not even going to go there,” Foles said. “We’re just going to live in the moment and sort of go day to day. I’m going to do everything I can to get back on the field and hopefully practice the first day we get back practicing and be ready to roll.”

More on the Eagles

Former Eagles first-round bust Marcus Smith released by Seahawks

ap-marcus-smith-cut-seahawks.jpg
AP Images

Former Eagles first-round bust Marcus Smith released by Seahawks

Marcus Smith, the Eagles’ first-round pick in 2014, was released by the Seahawks Friday, the second straight summer he’s been cut.

With just 6½ sacks in 51 career games over four seasons, Smith is among the biggest first-round busts in recent NFL history.

The Eagles released Smith last July 26, and he signed with the Seahawks two days later. He played in 14 games for Seattle a year ago, tying his career high with 2½ sacks.

Smith had missed practice the last two days with what coach Pete Carroll said was a personal issue.

In three years with the Eagles, the 26th pick in the 2014 draft recorded four sacks.

Some 174 players have recorded more sacks than Smith since opening day of 2014.

Smith is part of a remarkable trio of first-round defensive end busts the Eagles have drafted in the last couple decades.

Jon Harris, the 25th pick in 1997, had two career sacks. Jerome McDougle, the 15th pick in 2003, had three career sacks. And Smith has 6½.

Among defensive ends drafted in the first round during the 18-year span from 1997 through 2014, Harris, McDougle and Smith have the fourth, sixth and 16th-fewest sacks.

Smith, now 26, was due an $800,000 base salary this year if he made the Seahawks’ roster. They’re on the hook for a $400,000 signing bonus they gave him in March and will now have to carry that in dead money.

More on the Eagles