As we have been nearing the end of a long season, Doug Pederson took his foot off the pedal on Wednesday. Instead of a normal day of practice, the Eagles instead held a walkthrough.
This comes after a Dallas game where the defense played nearly 100 snaps and after two consecutive lengthy flights to and from road trips.
Pederson said he wants to “make sure our guys are fresh for Sunday.”
Because of the walkthrough, today’s official injury report is an estimation based on what would be likely if the team held a full practice:
Did not practice: Carson Wentz (back), Michael Bennett (foot), Alshon Jeffery (illness), Sidney Jones (hamstring), Isaac Seumalo (pec)
Limited: Fletcher Cox (hip), Zach Ertz (ankle), Jordan Hicks (calf), Tim Jernigan (back), Cameron Johnston (back), D.J. Alexander (hamstring)
Full: Stefen Wisniewski (thumb)
• Good sign that Jernigan and Hicks are listed as limited. We haven’t seen Jernigan in the last two games after his return against the Giants when he played 20 snaps. He’s been dealing with back spasms. If they could get him back on the field for these last two games it would help.
Hicks has missed the last four games with a calf injury he suffered in New Orleans. Without him, Nigel Bradham has taken over that role and has been playing well. Hicks’ return might hurt Bradham, but Hicks is still an important part of the defense when he’s on the field. The possibility of getting two starters back for a must-win game with playoff implications is a big deal.
• No surprise that Wentz was listed among the guys who didn’t practice. Pederson, when asked this morning, said Wentz would do the same amount he did last week and Wentz didn’t practice last week. He has a stress fracture in his back, so the only thing the Eagles can do is give him rest. It’s not like it’s an injury where they have to get him back slowly. The back fracture just needs time to heal
• Bennett has been missing practice for a few weeks with that foot injury but has been able to play through it. That’s unlikely to change this week. It’s just about getting him to Sunday each week.
• Jones and Seumalo seem unlikely to play this week. Without Seumalo, Wisniewksi played pretty well against the Rams.
• Cox hurt his hip in the Rams game and needed to leave briefly before returning. He’s limited today, but I can’t imagine this injury would keep him out or even limit his workload on Sunday. The Eagles need him and he knows it.
• A few new injuries: Ertz, Johnston and Alexander. Not sure when Ertz hurt his ankle, but it presumably happened in the game. This game on Sunday is to keep the season alive, so unless his foot is falling off, he’s going to play.
• Wisniewski was seen leaving the locker room today with a wrap on his left hand, but he should be fine to play through the injury.
Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Flyers, Sixers and Phillies games easily on your device.