Remember Carson Wentz? Think back. Jog your memory. He was the Eagles’ quarterback back before Nick Foles?
Seriously, we’ve spent so much time the last few months raving about what Foles accomplished after Wentz was lost for the season with a knee injury that it might be a good idea to remind ourselves just exactly how brilliant Wentz was before Foles replaced him and led the Eagles to a Super Bowl championship.
So here are 10 Random Carson Wentz Stats That We All Forgot While Nick Foles Was Busy Winning the Super Bowl and Being Super Bowl MVP and Going on Jimmy Kimmel Live, the Tonight Show and Ellen and Writing a Book!
• Wentz’s 101.9 passer rating last year was fifth-highest in NFL history by a quarterback in his second year in the NFL. The only higher ratings? Nick Foles (119.2 in 2013), Otto Graham (109.2 in 1947), Kurt Warner (109.2 in 1999) and Dan Marino (108.9 in 1984). All are in the Hall of Fame except Foles (yet).
• Wentz became only the fifth quarterback in NFL history to throw 30 or more touchdowns in a season with seven or fewer interceptions. The others are Tom Brady (twice), Aaron Rodgers (four times) and Brett Favre and Matt Ryan once each.
• Wentz’s 49 touchdowns are seventh-most in NFL history by a player in his first 29 games, trailing Marino, Warner, Matt Stafford, Mark Rypien, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer. His 7,078 passing yards are 10th-most in 29 games.
• Wentz already has four games with four or more touchdown passes. Only Marino had more in his first two seasons (six).
• Wentz last year had a passer rating of 90 or higher in 10 of his 13 games last year. Only eight quarterbacks have ever had more games through 13 games with a passer rating of 90 or higher.
• Going into 2018, Wentz is riding a streak of 15 consecutive games with at least one touchdown pass and one or fewer interceptions. That’s the sixth-longest streak in NFL history and fourth-longest by a QB for one team.
• Wentz had eight 300-yard passing games in his first two seasons. Only two quarterbacks have had more — Marino had 10 and Andrew Luck nine.
• Wentz threw a TD pass every 13.3 attempts, the 13th-highest mark in NFL history. The only other quarterback to go through a full season (minimum 400 attempts) and have a higher TD percentage before his 25th birthday was Marino in 1984 (one every 11.8 attempts).
• Wentz threw 33 touchdown passes in just 440 attempts in 2017. Only five quarterbacks in NFL history have had a season with 33 or more touchdown passes on fewer pass attempts (Y.A. Tittle, George Blanda, Daryle Lamonica, Tony Romo and Randall Cunningham)
• At 24, Wentz became the youngest QB in NFL history to average 250 or more yards per game while throwing 33 or more touchdown passes and seven or fewer interceptions. The only other quarterback to do that before his 30th birthday is Rodgers, who did it in 2011 at 28 years old.