The Flyers probably have never been so happy to play the second game of a back-to-back on the road.
They won't have to stomach Tuesday night's 8-2 home-opening loss too long because the Flyers (1-2-0) are right back at it Wednesday night when they visit the Senators (1-1-1).
Let's look at some highlights before puck drop:
• There was a good chance Calvin Pickard would be in net for this game. After seeing what Brian Elliott went through Tuesday night (see story), Pickard receiving his first start with the Flyers seems all but certain. The Flyers claimed the goalie off waivers last week. Pickard is 0-3-0 with a 3.44 goals-against average and .900 save percentage in three career games against the Senators.
• In related news, goalie Alex Lyon was activated from injured non-roster status Wednesday and loaned to AHL affiliate Lehigh Valley. The goalie picture is crowded with the Phantoms as he joins Carter Hart and Anthony Stolarz.
• Keep an eye on Ivan Provorov and Nolan Patrick. Both of the young building blocks are scoreless and a minus-5 through three games. That's pretty shocking. If those trends continued for a fourth straight game, it would be surprising.
• The Flyers should come out with a lot of jump after what transpired in their home opener. It sure feels like they will after the messages in the dressing room postgame (see story).
Here's what Giroux had to say:
Games like that, they're frustrating. But it's one game, everybody needs to relax. We're going to go back to work tomorrow, get a win in Ottawa and then we're going to move on from there.
• The Senators are expected to be the worst team in the NHL this season. In three meetings with Ottawa last season, the Flyers went 1-1-1 with an even 12-12 in goals for and against.
• The Flyers did not have a morning skate Wednesday, so lineup decisions are unknown.
• When: 7:30 p.m. ET with Flyers Pregame Live at 7 p.m.
• Where: Canadian Tire Centre
• Broadcast: NBC Sports Philadelphia
• Live stream: NBCSportsPhiladelphia.com and the NBC Sports App
Claude Giroux-Sean Couturier-Jakub Voracek
Oskar Lindblom-Nolan Patrick-Travis Konecny
Jordan Weal-Mikhail Vorobyev-Wayne Simmonds
Scott Laughton-Jori Lehtera-Michael Raffl
Ivan Provorov-Shayne Gostisbehere
Robert Hagg-Andrew MacDonald
Travis Sanheim-Radko Gudas