Al Meltzer, a legendary broadcaster and one of the leading voices in Philadelphia sports history, died Tuesday at the age of 89.
An icon among the city's sports scene, Meltzer enjoyed an award-winning 50-year career, which featured inductions into the Philadelphia Sports, Big 5 and Jewish Sports Hall of Fames.
Meltzer worked for NBC Sports Philadelphia when the company was known as Comcast SportsNet. He also spent time with NBC10, Channel 3 and WPHL-17.
A Philadelphia suburbs resident, Meltzer was regarded for his exciting energy, rich sports knowledge and, of course, his voice.
From calling games, conducting interviews, hosting shows and delivering commentary, Meltzer did it all in Philadelphia, earning numerous honors, including Emmys and the National Academy of TV Arts and Sciences' Governor's Award.
Meltzer retired in 2003 and also authored his own book, "Big Al: Fifty Years of Adventures in Sports Broadcasting."
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
PHILADELPHIA – February 11, 2019 – NBC Sports Philadelphia posted its best finish ever in 2018, as the third most-watched RSN in total day and primetime households (HH), according to Nielsen Media Research. NBC Sports Philadelphia moved up three spots from 2017. NBC Sports Bay Area and NBC Chicago also placed in the Top 10, ranking fifth and eighth, respectively.
As the number three RSN in the nation in primetime (M-Su/7-11pm), NBC Sports Philadelphia averaged nearly 41,000 household impressions a night in the market from January 1 through December 31, 2018.
2018 NBC Sports Philadelphia Highlights:
- Following the 2017-18 season (which was the Sixers’ highest-rated since the 2011-12 season) Sixers ratings have continued to grow – pacing up 16% during the current 2018-19 season.
- NBC Sports Philadelphia registered a 6.2 HH overnight rating on November 14, when Jimmy Butler made his Sixers’ debut against the Orlando Magic, making it the highest rated Sixers game since 2001.
- Sixers playoff ratings (April 14-14, 2018) averaged a 6.8 HH rating, the highest postseason rating since 2012.
- Sixers streaming uniques are up 63%, and average streaming minutes are up 77% versus last year.
- Sixers homepage views on NBCSportsPhiladelphia.com are up 36%.
- Phillies household ratings are up 26% over 2017.
- Phillies streaming uniques are up 224%, and average streaming minutes are up 227%.
- Phillies homepage views on NBCSportsPhiladelphia.com are up 54%.
- Flyers streaming uniques are up 44%, average streaming minutes are up 48%.
- Flyers homepage views on NBCSportsPhiladelphia.com are up 31%.
- Video starts are up 41%
- Unique visitors are up 10%
- Visits per uniques are up 9%
Social Media Engagements:
- Facebook are up 39%
- Twitter are up 424%
- Instagram are up 202%
In 2018, NBC Sports Philadelphia debuted new programs and products including – The Mike Missanelli Show, Sixers Outsiders, and the digital exclusive “The Swipe,” on Instagram, plus the new MyTeams app, and Philly Pass – a new Direct to Consumer product, targeting out of market Philly sports fans.