The Wings may have gotten themselves a new good luck charm.
The team won its second straight home game against the Rochester Knighthawks on Sunday night and in attendance was Malvern Prep freshman Lucca DiBartolomeo.
Last week, the 15-year-old signed a one-day contract with the Wings. The contract included his own customized jersey, locker stall and a chance to experience what it’s like to be a part of the team.
Lucca is a Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor. The Wings and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Random Acts of Light program worked together to give the teen this surprise.
Wings forward Matt Rambo spoke with CBS reporters about the team’s plans to give Lucca an “experience of a lifetime.”
“Just have a good celebration and bring him onto our team and into our family and join us in the locker room and pregame just to show him how it’s done at our level.”
Malvern Prep’s Varsity Lacrosse Coach John McEvoy and Wings Assistant General Manager Joe Carlini also helped to orchestrate the surprise for Lucca. McEvoy played professionally for the Philadelphia Wings (1991-2002) where he was an All-Star and team captain.
Lucca’s surprise was a success. He was shocked to be greeted by Rambo and his teammate Kevin Crowley while at school.
“I had no idea," Lucca said. "I walked up here, I was so surprised. I was so happy to be with my favorite players."
Just before the game, he joined the players in the locker room where Crowley and Trevor Baptiste were happy to help suit him up and welcome him to the team.
Head coach Paul Day described Lucca as someone who represents what the Wings should be about.
“It really gives you perspective on how lucky we are to be involved in professional sports," Day told Fox29, "and how lucky we are to meet a tough kid like him.”
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
PHILADELPHIA – February 20, 2020 – NBC Sports Philadelphia continues to deliver record viewership of the Philadelphia 76ers. At the All-Star break, all Sixers programs including game ratings, Sixers Pregame Live, Sixers Postgame Live, Sixers Outsiders and streaming are all up over the same time last season. The team returns to NBC Sports Philadelphia on Monday, February 24 against the Atlanta Hawks at 7 pm. In addition to the game broadcast, NBC Sports Philadelphia+ will air the sports-betting focused BetCast that evening.
Sixers Rating Highlights:
- With a 3.3 HH Rating through the All-Star break, the 76ers are on pace for their highest-rated season on record.
- The 3.3 HH Rating is up 19%, compared to the same point in 2018-19, the team’s previous high.
- Through 48 games on NBC Sports Philadelphia, the Sixers have ranked in the top 5 in the market for all 48 games. Additionally, 63% of games (30 games) ranked in the top 3 in the market.
- With 19.9K uniques per game, the 2019-20 season is also on pace to be the most-streamed 76ers season ever in terms of uniques, up +12% vs. last season, the previous record.
- All 76ers programming is seeing increases season-over-season.
- Sixers Pregame Live is averaging a 0.53 HH Rating, up +2% versus last season.
- Sixers Postgame Live is delivering a 1.20 HH Rating, up +18% over 2018-19.
- Sixers Outsiders is averaging a 0.54 HH Rating, up +24% versus last season.
The Sixers return to NBC Sports Philadelphia on Monday, February 24 against the Atlanta Hawks. Marc Zumoff, Alaa Abdelnaby and Serena Winters will call the game on NBC Sports Philadelphia beginning at 7 pm, while over on NBC Sports Philadelphia+ Marc Farzetta, Brad Feinberg and Anthony Gargano will provide commentary for the sports betting focused BetCast.
NBC SPORTS PHILADELPHIA