Flyers Notes: Ron Hextall provides latest on Michal Neuvirth

Flyers Notes: Ron Hextall provides latest on Michal Neuvirth

NEW YORK -- Flyers general manager Ron Hextall refused to say exactly what was the final diagnosis on goalie Michal Neuvirth, but outward signs seem to indicate a sinus infection and chest cold.

Given all his medical tests came back negative for anything else and this was the one issue that had been lingering with Neuvirth, it's safe to say that's why he passed out in his crease during the opening minutes of Saturday's 3-0 win over New Jersey.
"My understanding is his sinus was clogged up and that has something to do with it," Hextall said Sunday, reiterating he's not a doctor.

Doctors are not permitted to speak to the media.

"He didn't know [what happened]," Hextall said. "He said neutral zone faceoff and got a little dizzy."
Neuvirth was dehydrated, too.
"Again, I don't want to get into details, but dehydration affects the body in funny ways, so I am sure when you get sick, hydration is an issue," Hextall said. "I am sure it was probably tied in there. All the tests came back normal."
Hextall said that Steve Mason, who missed Saturday's game entirely, had a stomach virus. Mason backed up Anthony Stolarz during Sunday's 4-3 loss to the Rangers (see game story).
Several players said a flu bug has been going around the dressing room for a while now and weren't surprised that Neuvirth might have been affected.
Asked whether he was comfortable his medical team didn't miss any significant signs that they need to be aware of in the future, Hextall said he had full confidence his medical team handled things correctly.
"I don't think there is a whole lot that can be done there," Hextall said. "I have he had a sinus infection for a month-and-a-half now. Guys have had it, too.
"If guys didn't play when they had a little sniffle, then we wouldn't have too many players for the whole year. We'd play a dozen every night."
Nick Schultz, a healthy scratch for four games, returned to the lineup in place of Radko Gudas (concussion). Since the All-Star break, Schultz had been scratched 17 of 28 games.
Dual shutout
Saturday was the Flyers' first shared goaltender shutout since Nov. 15, 2001, when Brian Boucher and Roman Cechmanek combined to shut out the Washington Capitals, 5-0, in Philadelphia. It is just the third combined shutout on record in Flyers history, joining that one and one by Ron Hextall and John Vanbiesbrouck on Jan. 9, 1999, a 2-0 win against Carolina.

Former Flyers goalie Ray Emery dies at 35

USA Today Images

Former Flyers goalie Ray Emery dies at 35

Former Flyers goaltender Ray Emery died Sunday morning. First responders pulled his body out of Hamilton Harbour, where he had been swimming with friends. An investigation into the cause of death is still ongoing. 

Emery was 35.

According to local authorities, Emery was checking out a friend’s boat docked at Royal Hamilton Yacht Club when the group he was with decided to jump in the water around 6:30 a.m. Emery’s body never surfaced and was eventually recovered around 2:50 p.m. Sunday afternoon. Hamilton police say Emery’s body was recovered in close proximity to where he was last seen.

Emery was last seen publicly with a handful of his former teammates Saturday night as the goaltender participated in Zac Rinaldo’s charity hockey game in Hamilton. Emery can be seen standing during the playing of “O Canada.”

"The Philadelphia Flyers are stunned and extremely saddened to hear of the tragic passing of former Flyers goaltender Ray Emery," president Paul Holmgren said in a statement from the team. "Ray was an outstanding teammate and an extremely gifted goaltender. He had exceptional athleticism, was a fierce competitor and battled in every game he played with the Flyers.

"His performances through the 2009-10 season were a very big part of the team's success in making the playoffs and reaching the Stanley Cup Final. Ray's talent, work ethic and determination helped him enjoy a successful 11-year NHL career. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends during this difficult time."

Several of Emery’s former teammates over the years offered their condolences via Twitter after learning of the tragedy.

Former Flyer Daniel Carcillo shared the he was crushed by the news (NSFW).

Jakub Voracek also shared his condolences (NSFW).

Emery joined the Flyers in June 2009 on a one-year contract, shutting out the Carolina Hurricanes 2-0 in his Flyers debut. The goaltender’s first stint in Philadelphia was cut short when he suffered a muscle tear in his abdomen in December missing the remainder of the season. Emery was later diagnosed with avascular necrosis — a degenerative condition to the bone tissue in his hip.

After undergoing successful surgery, Emery eventually joined the Ducks before winning a Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks in 2013. Impressively, Emery finished the regular season with a 17-1-0 record. He re-signed with the Flyers that summer as a backup to Steve Mason.

Emery’s most infamous moment in Philadelphia came during an ugly 7-0 loss to the Washington Capitals on November 1, 2013, as the Flyers netminder pummeled Caps goalie Braden Holtby during a line brawl in the early stages of the third period.

Emery faced criminal charges over a handful of off-the-ice incidents and altercations. Most recently, he was arrested for assault with a weapon in 2017 against former fiancé Keshia Chanté. 

Emery played a total of 287 NHL games, 88 with the Flyers. 

Flyers' Danick Martel accepts qualifying offer; team re-signs Taylor Leier and Tyrell Goulbourne

USA Today Images

Flyers' Danick Martel accepts qualifying offer; team re-signs Taylor Leier and Tyrell Goulbourne

Updated: 9:44 p.m.

Three young forwards will all be staying in the Flyers organization, at least for one more year.

Sunday, the team announced that Danick Martel accepted his qualifying offer on a one-year contract, and that restricted free agents Taylor Leier and Tyrell Goulbourne signed one-year deals.

Restricted free agent goalie Anthony Stolarz has also accepted his qualifying offer of $761,250, according to a report from John Hoven. Stolarz, 24, played in just one game for the Phantoms in the 2017-18 season after undergoing surgery on a meniscus tear last summer. A second-round pick by the Flyers in the 2012 draft, Stolarz went 18-9 and posted a 2.92 goals against average with Lehigh Valley in 2016-17.

Though the team didn't include any salary details, Martel's deal is reportedly a two-way contract worth $715,000.

The 23-year-old Martel made his NHL debut last season, finishing with no points and six shots over four games. He scored a career-best 25 goals for Lehigh Valley.

With Leier, the Flyers avoided a possible arbitration hearing. According to CapFriendly, Leier's contract is a one-way deal for $720,000. Leier's hearing was scheduled for Aug. 3. The team also earlier avoided a hearing with Alex Lyon, their other player who filed for arbitration, signing the goalie to a two-year deal.

A fourth-round selection in 2012, Leier had one goal and four assists in 39 regular-season games with the Flyers as a rookie.

Goulbourne, who made his NHL debut on Jan. 6, appeared in nine regular-season contests, with 15 hits.

If Stolarz is indeed back in the fold, Robert Hagg would be the team's only remaining restricted free agent. 

More on the Flyers