WASHINGTON -- The Chicago Cubs cut ties with Miguel Montero on Wednesday after the veteran catcher blamed pitcher Jake Arrieta for allowing seven stolen bases in Tuesday's loss to the Washington Nationals.
Montero, who turns 34 on July 9, was designated for assignment, and the World Series champions recalled catcher Victor Caratini from Triple-A Iowa. Montero is batting .286 with four homers and eight RBIs in 44 games.
President of baseball operations Theo Epstein, general manager Jed Hoyer and manager Joe Maddon spoke Tuesday after hearing of Montero's comments. The 6-1 loss dropped Chicago to 39-38 on the season.
"Right now through 77 games, we haven't gotten it going yet. We haven't come together as a team," Hoyer said. "We're fighting to come together and I think those comments were a detriment to what we're trying to accomplish right now at this point in the season."
"It was pretty straightforward," Maddon said of the decision to cut Montero. "I talked to Theo last night. We both were in agreement it was the right thing to do" (see full story).
Mariners: Lefty Smyly has Tommy John surgery
SEATTLE -- Drew Smyly was the centerpiece to one of Seattle's many offseason moves by general manager Jerry Dipoto. He was a priority acquisition as a proven lefty for the rotation the Mariners believed would thrive pitching at Safeco Field.
Smyly will end his first season in Seattle never having thrown a pitch during the regular season. The Mariners announced Wednesday that Smyly will need Tommy John surgery after being diagnosed with a torn ulnar collateral ligament.
"I feel bad for Drew. I know how excited he was when we acquired him, getting a chance to pitch in Seattle, how excited he was to be part of the team," Seattle manager Scott Servais said. "He did everything he could do to try and get back with us, the treatments and procedures and whatnot to figure it out" (see full story).
Cubs: Some team members meet Trump during informal visit to White House
WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump welcomed manager Joe Maddon and the Chicago Cubs into the Oval Office on Wednesday, their second visit to the White House in eight months since winning the World Series.
Trump entertained the Cubs in an informal visit Maddon said was set up by the team's owners, the Ricketts family, which donated millions of dollars to his campaign. The Cubs were honored as World Series champions by President Barack Obama in his last week in office in January.
"This is a great team and they were actually here but they wanted to be here with Trump, right?" Trump said. "I just want to thank and I want to congratulate them."
Along with Maddon and Tom and Todd Ricketts, several players made the trip to the White House, including first baseman Anthony Rizzo, pitcher Jon Lester, third baseman Kris Bryant and outfielder Albert Almora Jr. Trump took photos with the World Series trophy and a Cubs jersey with his name and No. 45 -- he is the 45th president -- in gold on the back.
Maddon said Trump was complimentary in their "very, very quick" visit and that the pictures will be entertaining to show his grandchildren. General manager Jed Hoyer called it a "pretty cool life experience."
"It's always an honor when you get asked to go to the White House," Hoyer said before the Cubs' game against the Washington Nationals. "Regardless of your politics, it's a place that all Americans should be impressed by" (see full story).