Former Diamondbacks and Padres general manager Josh Byrnes has emerged as a candidate for the Phillies’ front office vacancy.
Byrnes was with the D-backs from 2006-10 and the Padres from 2011-14. The teams went a combined 612-684 in those years, an average of 76-86 per season.
The D-backs and Padres under Byrnes had one combined playoff appearance and one season with more than 83 wins, which is why neither tenure lasted long. But he has, over the years, overseen some very good draft picks and trades.
Here’s the rundown of all of his notable moves:
Notable: Drafted Max Scherzer; traded Max Scherzer; drafted Paul Goldschmidt late; awesome 2009 draft in Arizona, weak drafts otherwise.
First-round busts in 2007 (Jarrod Parker), 2008 (Daniel Schlereth), 2009 (Bobby Borchering) and 2010 (Barrett Loux)
- Scherzer drafted 11th overall in Byrnes’ first draft with D-backs
- Phillies took Kyle Drabek 7 picks later
- Drafted LHP Brett Anderson in 3rd round
• Nobody of note in ‘07 draft other than 15th-rounder Josh Collmenter
• Lefty starter Wade Miley & reliever Bryan Shaw in Rounds 2-3 in 2008. Both have gone on to 10-year careers.
2009 draft (awesome)
- Goldschmidt in Round 8
- A.J. Pollock in Round 1
- Matt Davidson & Chris Owings in supplemental round
- supplemental picks for losing Orlando Hudson and Juan Cruz in free agency
- Keon Broxton in Round 3
- Chase Anderson in Round 9
- Bad draft, though Adam Eaton in Round 19
- Eaton was later traded for Mark Trumbo
Trades with D-backs
- Javier Vazquez to CHW for Chris Young, Orlando Hernandez, Luis Vizcaino
- Troy Glaus & Sergio Santos to Blue Jays for Orlando Hudson and Miguel Batista
- Reacquired Randy Johnson for nothing of note
- Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter
- Brett Anderson, Chris Carter, Aaron Cunningham, Carlos Gonzalez, Dana Eveland to A’s for Dan Haren
- Jose Valverde to Astros for Chad Qualls, Chris Burke
- Emilio Bonifacio for Jon Rauch
- Micah Owings for two months of Adam Dunn
- Traded Scherzer and Schlereth to Tigers in 3-team deal; got Edwin Jackson & Ian Kennedy
Obviously, the Scherzer trade sticks out more than any other.
Notable: Strong early draft picks in Trea Turner, Max Fried and Zach Eflin, all of whom were traded after he left; good Mat Latos trade, bad Anthony Rizzo trade
- Max Fried in Round 1
- Zach Eflin in Round 2
- Mallex Smith in Round 5
- Hunter Renfrow in Round 1
- Nobody else who’s accrued 1.0 WAR in MLB
- Trea Turner in Round 1
- None of their next 35 picks in that draft has appeared in MLB
Trades with Padres
- PTBNL for Huston Street
- Mat Latos to Reds for Yonder Alonso, Brad Boxberger, Yasmani Grandal & Edinson Volquez (very good)
- Anthony Rizzo to Cubs for Andrew Cashner (bad)
- Traded 2 minor-leaguers who didn’t pan out for Tyson Ross (very good)
- Traded reliever Joe Thatcher to D-backs for Ian Kennedy (good)
- Luke Gregerson to A’s for Seth Smith (bad)
- Matt Andriese, Boxberger, Logan Forsythe to Rays for Jesse Hahn
The trades of Fried, Turner and Eflin all took place after Byrnes was fired by the Padres in June 2014.
The Padres netted Justin Upton in the Fried trade, Wil Myers in the Turner trade and Matt Kemp in the Eflin trade. All three deals worked out poorly for GM A.J. Preller.