The latest Phillies Talk podcast has landed and special guest Ruben Amaro Jr. delivers some strong opinions and even a little news.
The chat begins with some memories of the guy whose picture hangs on Amaro’s wall and moves on to a number of other topics, including:
• The Phillies’ performance in the month of April. Are they fortunate to be .500 and in first place in the NL East?
• The troubling slippage in fundamental play with the Phillies and around baseball.
• Manager Joe Girardi’s performance.
• Is the team showing enough urgency?
• The scary incident involving Bryce Harper in St. Louis on Wednesday night?
• Can it bring the team together?
• Why is offense down in baseball and with the Phillies?
• Not enough contact at the plate equals “a brand of baseball that stinks.”
• Where have the hands and the quick swings gone?
• Harper is one tough son of a gun.
• Respect for Hector Neris and Nolan Arenado and the importance of building a brotherhood in the clubhouse.
• Odubel Herrera is the best option the Phillies have in centerfield.
• What is the biggest need Dave Dombrowski will have to fill if this team is to contend?
• And how about Amaro dropping some news such as the latest on Cole Hamels and who might be on the Colorado Rockies’ radar screen as they transition to a new general manager.
It’s all on the latest edition of Phillies Talk. Give it a listen.