Joel Embiid had 50 points, 17 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 blocks in the Sixers' 112-105 win over the Bulls Friday night at the Wells Fargo Center.
Here are 10 totally bananas Joel Embiid stats:
1. Embiid became the first Sixer with a 50-point game in more than 15 years. The last to do it was Allen Iverson, who scored 53 points against the Hawks in a 111-108 loss in Atlanta on Dec. 23, 2005. Embiid is the first Sixer with 50 points and 15 rebounds in a game since Moses Malone had 51 and 17 on Nov. 14, 1984, in a 137-133 loss to the Pistons at the Spectrum.
2. Embiid became the 8th player in NBA history with 50 points, 17 rebounds and 5 assists in a game. Only three players have done it more than once: Wilt Chamberlain (22 times), Elgin Baylor (5) and Bob McAdoo (2). Embiid is only the third player in the last 45 years to do it, joining Chris Webber and Michael Jordan. Four of Chamberlain’s 23 games of 50-17-5 were with the Sixers, most recently on March 18, 1968 against the Lakers (53, 32, 14). The last NBA player with 50 points, 17 rebounds and 5 assists in a game was McAdoo for the Buffalo Braves vs. the Cavs in 1975 in Cleveland (50, 20, 5).
3. The NBA’s last two 50-15-5 games involved the 76ers. On March 17, 2019 in Milwaukee, Giannis Antetokounmpo had 52, 16 and 7 for the Bucks in a game the Sixers won 130-125. Embiid had 40, 15 and 6 in that game.
4. Embiid is the ninth Sixers with a 50-point game. Iverson (13) and Wilt Chamberlain (11) are the only Sixers in franchise history with more than one. Dolph Schayes had one in 1959, Hal Greer one in 1964, Billy Cunningham one in 1970 and Malone one in 1985. Dana Barros and Willie Burton each had one in 1995.
5. The NBA has only kept track of blocks since 1983, but Embiid is only the eighth player with 50 points and four blocks in a game. David Robinson and Anthony Davis have done it twice and Joe Barry Carroll, Karl Malone, Vine Carter, Dirk Nowitzki and LaMarcus Aldridge once each. Embiid is the first ever with 50 points, 17 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 blocks.
6. Embiid now has eight career games with at least 40 points and 15 rebounds. Only 16 players have had more and 15 of them are in the Hall of Fame. The other one is still active — Anthony Davis. Chamberlain had 32 games with 40 and 15. Embiid is now tied with Charles Barkley for the second-most in Sixers history. Only Schayes (4), Malone (2), Cunningham (1), Red Kerr (1) and George Yardley (1) have also had one.
7. Embiid has scored at least 25 points in 13 straight games. That’s the longest streak by a Sixer since Iverson did it in 15 straight games over the 2006 and 2007 seasons. It's also the fifth-longest streak in Sixers history, behind four A.I. streaks. In 2001, Iverson scored 25 points in a Sixers-record 27 straight games. Chamberlain holds the NBA record with 106 straight over the 1962 and 1963 seasons for the Philadelphia and San Francisco Warriors.
8. Embiid is now averaging 30.5 points, 11.0 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game this year. If he finishes the season at 30 points, 10 rebounds and 3 assists, he’d be the first NBA player to average 30, 10 and 3 in a season since McAdoo in 1975-76 (31.1, 12.4, 4.0)
9. Embiid is averaging 24.6 points, 11.4 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 233 career games. The only other players in NBA history who averaged 24, 11 and 3 are Bob Pettit, Elgin Baylor, Chamberlain and Abdul-Jabbar.
10. Since the NBA began tracking minutes played in the 1983-84 season, Embiid is only the second player with 50 points and 15 rebounds in 35 or fewer minutes. Karl Malone had 61 and 18 in just 33 minutes in 1990 in Utah’s 144-96 win over the Bucks.