Gritty is a mascot of the people.
The proof is in the numbers — at least in Camden County.
According to personal choice election results listed on its official website, Gritty received 14 write-in votes.
Here is the breakdown:
• U.S. House, N.J. District 1 (two votes)
• Camden County Sheriff (two votes)
• Audubon Boro Board of Education (one vote)
• Cherry Hill Township Board of Education (one vote)
• Clementon Board of Education (two votes)
• Collingswood Board of Education (one vote)
• Haddon Township Board of Education (five votes)
We were discussing in the NBC Sports Philadelphia content room that sheriff would fit Gritty well. You know, keep things in line.
Education also seems to be up his alley, so we shouldn't be surprised by these results.
Hey, and maybe the people wanted Gritty across the country. The Flyers (satirically?) posted this on the Jumbotron Thursday night during their game against the Coyotes.
And even during all the election madness for the furry fella, he still remembered his good bud Keith Jones' birthday.
Never too early for Christmas szn at the Wells Fargo Center.
Gritty Claus stopped by our broadcast booth to wish Keith Jones a happy birthday! pic.twitter.com/vfMwqK7tTg— NBC Sports Philadelphia (@NBCSPhilly) November 9, 2018
Truly, truly a mascot of the people.
Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Flyers, Sixers and Phillies games easily on your device.