Skip navigation
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up
NBCSports Header Logo

Cisse, Evans banned seven, six games respectively by FA after spitting incident

Newcastle United v Manchester United - Premier League

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, ENGLAND - MARCH 04: Manchester United player Jonny Evans (r) looks on as Papiss Cisse of Newcastle appears to spit during the Barclays Premier League match between Newcastle United and Manchester United at St James’ Park on March 4, 2015 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Papiss Cisse and Jonny Evans have both been charged by the English Football Association and have been handed lengthy bans.

Cisse, who accepted the charge after spitting at Evans during Newcastle United’s 1-0 defeat to Manchester United on Wednesday, was banned for seven games. As for Evans, he denied spitting at Cisse after the tough came together following a tackle on the halfway line in the first half, but the Manchester United defender has been handed a six-game ban at a crucial point of the season.

[ RELATED: Premier League Playback - How things stand ]

Both bans are effective immediately -- Cisse got an extra game due to already being charged for violent conduct earlier this season -- as the two players have been swiftly charged after the despicable scenes at St James’ Park.

You can watch the incident in the video above, while the full statement from the English FA is below:

Newcastle United’s Papiss Cisse and Manchester United’s Jonny Evans will serve suspensions of seven-matches and six-matches respectively with immediate effect.

This follows the Premier League game on Wednesday 4 March 2015.

Both players were charged in relation to an alleged breach of FA Rule E1[a] in that in or around the 38th minute of the fixture they spat at each other.

Mr Cisse accepted the charge and his suspension consists of six matches, which is the standard penalty for this offence, with an additional one match as he has previously accepted a violent conduct charge this season.

Mr Evans denied the charge but it was found proven following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing on Friday [6 March], resulting in a six-match suspension.

The incidents were not seen by the match officials but caught on video.

Follow @JPW_NBCSports