Robert Andino, who sprained his left shoulder on July 15, is ahead of schedule with his rehabilitation. Instead of being sent to Sarasota, Fla., will go to Double-A Bowie for a three-game rehab assignment, beginning Tuesday, manager Buck Showalter said on Friday.Andino has been around the clubhouse exercising his shoulder, and Showalter hopes that after Thursday mornings game, Andino will join the Orioles in Tampa Bay. When Andino was hurt, the initial estimate was that he would miss three-to-four weeks. It looks like hell beat that.When I knew Robert had to come out of the game, I knew there was an issue, Showalter said.Hes a tough kid. Most guys that are tough guys like that are also quick healers. The challenge has been to slow him down.The Orioles recalled pitcher Miguel Socolovich from Triple-A Norfolk. They designated pitcher Dana Eveland for assignment. Evelands contract was purchased for one day.Eveland, whos now been designated for assignment three times, was 0-1 with a 4.73 ERA, and if he clears waivers at 1 p.m. on Sunday, hell return to Norfolk to start on Tuesday, he said.Socolovich wasnt eligible to be recalled until today because he had been optioned 10 days before. He spent three days with the Orioles earlier this month and allowed four runs in four innings. At Norfolk, Socolovich was 3-0 with a 2.01 ERA.
DALLAS—The Capitals have dealt backup goaltender Philipp Grubauer and veteran defenseman Brooks Orpik to Colorado for a second round pick, the team announced shortly before the NHL Draft kicked off Friday at American Airlines Center.
GM Brian MacLellan was widely expected to deal Grubauer, a 26-year-old who wanted the opportunity to be a No. 1. As a restricted free agent with arbitration rights who was also coming off a strong season, Grubauer was due a significant raise.
“We would like to thank Brooks and Philipp for all of their contributions to our organization,” MacLellan said in a statement. “Philipp has been a consummate professional and a great teammate and we wish him all the best.”
Trading Orpik, on the other hand, was a bit unexpected, particularly considering how much 37-year-old’s play and leadership meant to the Caps during their run to the Stanley Cup.
By dealing Orpik, MacLellan shed the 37-year-old’s $5.5 million cap hit for next season—an important development given the Caps’ tight salary cap situation and the number of key players who need new contracts. John Carlson, Michal Kempny and Jakub Jerabek are unrestricted free agents, while Tom Wilson, Devante Smith-Pelly, Travis Boyd and Madison Bowey are restricted free agents.
According to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, the Avalanche are expected to help Orpik land or a preferred spot, whether via trade or buyout. By taking on Orpik in the deal, Friedman reported, the Avs only had to give up one pick.
“Brooks,” MacLellan continued, “was a great leader and a tremendous role model for our young players in his four years with our organization. This was a difficult move, but the one we felt we needed to make in order to give some flexibility moving forward.”
Will moving out Grubauer and eliminating Orpik’s cap charge allow MacLellan to re-sign Carlson, who's set to become the top defenseman on the free agent market? That’s unclear—even with the salary cap ceiling going up to $79.5 million—but it sure helps the Caps’ cause.
Dealing Orpik also opens up a spot for a young and inexpensive defenseman such as Christian Djoos or Madison Bowey to take on a bigger role in 2018-19.
Without Grubauer, the Caps are likely to turn to Pheonix Copley as their backup next season. And if Copley, who is due to earn the NHL minimum of $650,000 next season, starts the year in Washington, that allows 2015 first round pick Ilya Samsonov to take the reins in Hershey.
The second round pick the Caps received in exchange for Grubauer and Orpik is the 47th overall selection.
MacLellan is expected to speak to reporters following the first round later Friday night. The Caps currently hold the 31st overall pick.
MORE CAPITALS NEWS:
When the 2018 All-Star Weekend comes to Washington, D.C. in the middle of July, Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper will compete in the 2018 Home Run Derby, but only on one condition: He has to be a member of the 2018 National League All-Star Team.
Though Harper is having a down year, only hitting .213 thus far, he leads the NL in home runs with 19.
In the June 18 update of All-Star game voting, Harper sat second among all outfielders with just north of 1,000,000 votes.
That means he’s not only going to make the All-Star team, but he’ll likely start in the outfield.
Harper, a five-time All-Star, competed in the Home Run Derby once before. He was the runner-up to Yoenis Cespedes in 2013, losing by just one long ball, 9-8.
The 2018 Home Run Derby will take place on July 16 at Nationals Park.
MORE NATS NEWS: