DC United

AP Source: Jones rejects Colorado coaching offer

201212041911690906624-p2.jpeg

AP Source: Jones rejects Colorado coaching offer

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) The losses keep piling up for the University of Colorado football program.

A person familiar with the decision told The Associated Press on Thursday that Butch Jones has rejected an offer to become the Buffaloes' next coach. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because Jones hadn't publicly revealed his decision to stay at the University of Cincinnati.

The Cincinnati Enquirer first reported Jones had withdrawn his name from consideration for the Buffaloes job, just as he had the Purdue opening earlier in the week that subsequently went to Darrell Hazell.

Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn didn't return phone messages seeking comment on Jones' decision.

Jones met with Bohn and others in Boulder for nine hours on Monday, when he was offered a five-year deal worth at least $13.5 million. He then spent two days avoiding questions about his coaching future while promoting the Bearcats' appearance against Duke in the Belk Bowl in Charlotte, N.C., on Dec. 27.

On Wednesday night, Jones sent a text message to the AP calling a report that he had accepted the Colorado job ``absolutely false,'' and Bohn responded in a text to AP that ``our process is not complete.''

Now, it's back to Square One for a program that, at 1-11, just completed the worst season in its 123-year history.

Jones was Colorado's top choice to replace Jon Embree, who was fired after going 4-21 in two seasons at his alma mater. Jones is believed to be the only candidate that Bohn has met with during his third coaching search since firing Gary Barnett in 2005.

Jones, 44, is a hot candidate with a 50-27 record as a head coach, and might soon be in line for much better opportunities than the one Colorado had to offer. He's 23-14 in three years at Cincinnati after going 27-13 at Central Michigan. He followed Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly at both schools.

Embree had three years remaining on the five-year contract he signed on Dec. 6, 2010, when he replaced Dan Hawkins. Like Hawkins, he was due a buyout approaching $2 million.

The Buffaloes job isn't a glamorous one, with sub-par football facilities and a fan base and booster pool disenchanted by seven straight losing seasons - and now, as Embree's quick hook attests, an administration that wants immediate upgrades on the scoreboard and in the Pac-12 standings.

That's a daunting task for the next coach, who will face a truncated recruiting season while inheriting a youthful roster that has managed just three league wins since bolting the Big 12 two years ago.

---

AP Sports Writers Larry Lage, Joe Kay and Pat Graham contributed to this report.

---

Follow Arnie Melendrez Stapleton on Twitter:http://twitter.com/arniestapleton

MLS postpones DC United match against Toronto FC amid health concerns

eriksorga_usat.jpg
USA TODAY Sports Images

MLS postpones DC United match against Toronto FC amid health concerns

D.C. United’s opening match of the MLS is Back tournament against Toronto FC on Sunday was postponed minutes before play was set to begin.

The league announced that upon testing both clubs for the coronavirus Saturday, one player received “an initial unconfirmed positive” and another’s test came back inconclusive. Citing health protocols that require all players to be retested before playing again, the MLS decided to reschedule Sunday’s match.

RELATED: FC DALLAS WITHDRAWS FROM MLS IS BACK TOURNAMENT AFTER 10 POSITIVE COVID-19 TESTS

According to The Washington Post’s Steven Goff, MLS deputy commissioner Mark Abbott told reporters on a conference call that the positive test came from a sample of a D.C. United player. Rookie forward Erik Sorga was originally slated to be on the team’s bench but was dropped off the game-day roster with no announcement coming from the club.

Goff also reported that the MLS cleared both teams to arrive at the complex in Orlando for the match Sunday. D.C. United did so while Toronto FC stayed back.

Stay connected to your favorite teams from the DMV with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

Quick Links

Will another injury to Steven Stamkos put him in jeopardy for the game against the Capitals?

Will another injury to Steven Stamkos put him in jeopardy for the game against the Capitals?

Tampa Bay Lightning player Steven Stamkos is a superstar, but has not had great injury luck over the course of his career. Bad luck has sprung up again for the Lightning captain as he suffered a lower-body injury during the team's Phase 2 voluntary workouts and will be limited at the start of training camp.

General manager Julien BriseBois told reporters Saturday that Stamkos is expected to be ready for the return of the season.

"We don't have a specific timeline for when he will be a full participant in camp," BriseBois said. "But we expect he will be ready in time for games."

RELATED: 7 THINGS TO WATCH IN THE ROUND-ROBIN THAT WILL TELL US IF THE CAPS ARE CUP CONTENDERS

Tampa Bay will begin its postseason in a round robin tournament against the top seeds in the East. Their first game will be Aug. 3 against the Capitals.

Stamkos underwent core muscle surgery on March 2. The recovery timeline was six to eight weeks which he has clearly passed and it is believed this new injury is not related. Still, this will be a tough blow for Stamkos who will now have to be limited at the start of camp after missing the last seven games before the season was paused.

Washington was a perfect 3-0-0 against the Lightning this season. While Stamkos is expected to be ready for games, this is an injury the bears watching, especially if it drags further and further into camp.

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE CAPITALS TALK PODCAST

Stay connected to the Capitals with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE CAPITALS NEWS: